Kiddie Birthday Parties

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Dautel, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Since I have boy/girl twins approaching 6 yrs old, we were talking about birthday parties the other day. Seems we attend 2-3/month. Very few people do backyard parties anymore, most are at Chuck-e-Cheese, etc., which we really hate.

Has anyone out there seen any creative parties recently. We'd like to do something unique for the kiddies this year.

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I would first ask the kids what they want to do.

Putting that aside, there are lots of cool things to do for a birthday party:
    -Rent one of those inflatable bouncers.
    -Build a haunted house or maze in the backyard or throughout the house.
    -Have some contests whereby you give away prizes.
    -Karaoke for the kids (should be entertaining for the parents).

I think the area where you will have the most creativity is with the presentation. For instance, make all the guests wait outside until everyone has arrived. Then become like a tour guide and lead them into the house, with background music/sound effects set up at the right moments.

~T

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    My neighbor hired an animal expert for their boy's 8th birthday. The expert brought along a large snake, aligator, & other "cool" pets for the kids to pet and see. It was a huge success & cost was ~$50 for a 30min show.

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

As a kid, my parents hired a magician. The kids loved it and it was a great success.

5. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I'm sure Julie has a lot of experience with kid's birthday parties !

There is a website out there for planning assistance, but can't recall what it is. A friend used it and had tons of activities to keep the kids busy (dances, crafts, games, etc). Party was a big success but it was a lot of work for the parents. We had our daughter's 8 yr party at an ice skating rink and it was a ton-o-fun for the parents also. We also had one at the Baltimore Science Center and the Aquarium. I like to throw parties where the kids might learn something new.

Next year I was thinking free-style rock climbing or swimming with sharks... (oh yeah, those were Julie's suggestions)

I despise Chuck E Cheese.... Good Luck and provide earplugs for the parents - especially if you fire up that karaoke machine !!!!

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Everytime I ask the kidlets, they just say ... "what do you think?".

I like the roving zoo idea & will investigate for my area. Also, a visiting magician could be really good ... I was thinking about this tied to a Harry Potter theme (perfect timing, since all the kids are watching the video at least once a week right now).

We also considered an inflatable moon-bounce rental, but the last one they went to was putting out about 6 injuries per hour. Also, July heat can be trouble.

I wish I lived in So.Cal., so I could plan the party in Julie's Supermarket. :p)

8. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

The animal idea is a good one. We threw a birthday party for my younger brother about 10 years ago with various "exotic" pets. Luckily, my older brother had a friend who worked in a pet store. We had some ferrets, a parrot, and a 12 foot Burmese Python.

Oh yeah, the kids loved it!

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

How about one of those rock climbing walls? Some of our friends had a 35ft deal in their yard for their kid's 7th (or 8th??). A couple could climb at a time, and they have the ropes/harnesses, etc. It's like having the rock-climbing center right in your yard. Nobody got hurt.
    The funny part was watching the out-of-shape parents unsuccessfully trying to get to the top.[​IMG]