Kid Stays In The Picture has gotten the official word

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChristopherBlig, May 9, 2003.

1. ChristopherBlig

ChristopherBlig Stunt Coordinator

July 15th is the day Kid Stays In the Picture will be released on DVD, trailers, featurettes and commentary by the filmmakers will be included... The title will be released by Warner Home Video, an interesting note considering that Focus Features (owned by Universal) had released this in theaters...maybe a different distribution for video rights...happy to see that a great movie is finally getting the treatment on DVD...cross your fingers for a good transfer

2. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

To think ive had this disc for close to 2 months. Must be a Canadian exclusive

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

For those waiting for this to come to DVD, it will be on HBO this Thursday night at 9pm EST.

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Those who haven't seen it should seek it out. My pic for one of last year's very best. Thrilling, funny, saddening, intense...just an amazing 90 minutes.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

And be sure to watch the credit sequence, which includes a lengthy sample of Dustin Hoffman's famous Evans impression. I once saw a whole gag reel of Hoffman doing scenes from Marathon Man in Evans' voice; one of the funniest pieces of film I've ever seen.

M.

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Evans... that guy is something else! [​IMG]

The Kid Stays In The Picture is a beautiful, personalized documentary. Evans has lived a unique life, to say the least, and film fully conveys that.

Hoffman's impersonation of Evans is must-see - hilarious. It's up there with John C. McGinley's mimickry of Oliver Stone, for sure. [​IMG]

Gordy

7. ChristopherBlig

the movie was supercool and what a preview for the DVD this will be on Thursday...good amount of supporters for one of the best movies last year (my #1 for last year personally and it got shut out Oscar time)

8. Douglas*A*R

Douglas*A*R Stunt Coordinator

I saw it last evening on HBO-HD. Can't say I thought much of it beyond the history lesson, but the "3d" effect with the still pictures was a nice touch.

All throughout the movie, though, I kept thinking of the "God's Autobiography on tape as read by God" sketch from "Mr. Show". Evan's voice was eerily similar to the one Bob Odenkirk used in the skit (at least that's how it sounded to me).

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

just watched this film last night.
    i used to have a copy of the abridged audio book which ran about 4-6 hrs, and i have fond memories of driving cross country listening to Evans stories.
    enjoyed the tapes so much, i eventually bought the book.

out of all three media, i think the film is easily the weakest of the bunch, but thats not really a put down.
    the film is a great experience all on its own, and i dug some of the subtle ways they jazzed up still photos (making them appear dimensional etc).

as good as the film is, the disc is superb!
    a/v quality for the feature is top notch, and the extras are well chosen and substantial.

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

sounds like that is worth the admission price alone then

[​IMG]

12. BobSmith

BobSmith Agent

Any news about his show Kid Notorious?

13. ChristopherBlig

It was on for a short time and only a few episodes were produced...no word on whether it will be renewed but ratings wise unfortunately it did not do well...hope to see those episodes on DVD sometime in the near future as it is a pretty funny show
    I can't wait for Evans' continuation of The Kid Stays In the Picture called "The Fat Lady Sang" coming to bookstores this summer [​IMG] It's right where the first book left off...

14. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Nothing beats the Evans impression that Hoffman is doing all through "Wag The Dog."

I can't believe there was an Evans cartoon - you should have seen the look on my face when I first caught it while channel surfing.

15. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I got this one at Blockbuster a few months ago for $5. They were clearing out their unwanted DVD's and I picked this up and Dogtown and Z-boys for $5 also. Excellent documentary.