What's new

Kid proof speakers (1 Viewer)

AndrewWong

Auditioning
Hi all,

Thinking about getting some kid proof speakers. My son is 1.5 and he decided my floorstanders were great fun to poke and tear up.

I've been re-thinking my lounge room. Either going to wall mount a plasma TV or projector and move all my hardware into a closed cupboard away from prying hands ( as opposed to the open rack it now is in).

Looking for recommendations on speakers.

I looked at the Mirage Omnisats the other day thinking about wall mounting them but I can't say that the soundstage impressed me for the fronts ( as rears and surrounds they are probably OK ).

Or does anyone have suggestions for making "kid proof" speaker grilles and attaching floorstanders to the floor to make sure they can't easily be toppled by kids running around ?

Now I'm down to 1 pair of speakers ( not repairing the broken ones ), I have Monitor Audio Silver 5is front + center.

Appreciate comments.

Thanks,
Andrew

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
If you have a feed store near by, you can get an eletric fence kit for a few hundred bucks. The lowest setting should be fine.

KenWA

Agent
Andrew,

Here's a thread on Audio Asylum about this issue:

db(.)audioasylum(.)com/cgi/t.mpl?f=speakers&m=64948

(Remove parentheses to make the link work.)

Per my own experience, I have a wonderful daughter (now 3 1/2) who is very compliant. The gear is on a high rack at my eye level, and she is unable to reach it. The speakers are on stands which she's been told not to touch since she learned to crawl and pull up, and she hasn't.

Hope this helps!

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Two words: Chicken wire.

Don't forget to put something over the port in your sub. You never know what will fit in a sub port until you've got a 3 year old.

Actually, she knows not to mess with daddy's toys. The other day she was twisting the knobs on a spare receiver, saying "this one is music, this one is noisy, this one is Boom! Boom!" and so on. I couldn't breathe.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if they still make them. But I have seen people get those solid di-cast things from Radio Shock of all places. They can be run over or thrown out a window without damage to functionality.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks