"Kid Millions" fate?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Grove, Apr 1, 2006.

1. David Grove

David Grove Stunt Coordinator

It's been several months since "Kid Millions" was abruptly canceled. It had been scheduled for release on Dec. 6, as I recall.

Does anyone know what happened, or if we might still reasonably expect a release?

What kind of difficulty could cause last-minute cancellation of a 70+ year old title?

Reagards,

DG

2. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I would hope this and films of a similar nature would not have to go through such troubles to find a DVD release, especially after it was announced and pre-orderable. Please, those with control, stop yanking us around and release it. This and the the Mister Magoo collection and the Harveytoons set were all suppose to be out by now from Sony and all delayed and preorders canceled. Are there any other classic titles that were suppose to be out by now from Sony mysteriously delayed / canceled?

3. Jeffrey:K

Jeffrey:K Second Unit

MGM originally announced BARBARY COAST in 2001, I think, but it didn't finally appear until one year ago.

Sony seems to be streamlining their catalog DVD operation, focusing on fewer and more recent releases. Doesn't seem promising for KID MILLIONS.

I've been waiting for more of the London Films/Korda titles to appear, but that probably won't happen unless Sony sells off that part of their catalog.

4. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

We can only hope. I'm also praying they'll sell on their UA titles to someone who actually gives a damn.

5. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

6. David Grove

What I don't understand is how the process works.

Presumably, a studio goes through some kind of economic analysis to determine the likely profitability of releasing a particular title. Certainly, they must estimate the various expenses and revenues, and determine the project has a sufficient value to proceed. When the go-ahead is given, they must start working on all the various tasks leading up to the release. Sometime during this process, they announce the product, and resellers may start accepting pre-orders. At this point, it seems reasonable that the project would still be active because, had it been cancelled, it wouldn't have been announced nor orders be accepted.

Now we're getting pretty near ship date. Suddenly, the project is cancelled. What economic interest could be served? All costs up to this point are now sunk, and terminating the project means zero revenue against any of the already incurred expenses. Going forward would mean at least some revenue. In other words, wouldn't it be worse for a studio to cancel at the last minute than to proceed to distribution?

Where is the economics in a last minute cancellation?

DG

7. David Grove

Can anyone who really knows the DVD biz offer any enlightenment on how last-minute cancellations are rational in the context of the DVD business model?

Curious,

DG

8. David Grove

Here's the third (and final) swing...

Hoping for a hit.

I really am interested to know how decisions such as this are made. Maybe there's more than economics at work.

DG