What's new

Kickstart my heart <3 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I agree. I kind of wish in a lot of ways that backer rewards hadn't suddenly become "the item you're backing", rather a discount coupon or something to later buy the item, and they discouraged that direct give away.

I backed the most recent Rifftrax attempt to get "Twilight" for the big screen; and flat out, that project WILL fail, there is almost no chance in hell they get Twilight rights, for any price. But I'm counting on the $250K going to a product I believe in, and they will find something worthwhile, etc. So I will be OK, but we're already getting emails from people complaining about not receiving their "item" etc.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I still don't understand Kickstarter. If its not a store, why does it list all the items I'm getting for my money? If its an investment, why don't I get a shares and a dividend from the companies that are built? If its a charity, shouldn't it simply ask for money and send me a tote bag and PAL radio for my trouble? If it's high-tech begging, why is celeb Kristin Bell there, asking for my help?I've seen some projects that interest me, but I haven't "bought" anything because I can't figure out what it is.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's because it is something new. If you have to look at it through the glasses of what came before it you wil never understand.

Bottom line: only support projects you believe in and want to see succeed. Don't count on rewards. Bet with your head, not over it. =)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's because it is something new. If you have to look at it through the glasses of what came before it you wil never understand. Bottom line: only support projects you believe in and want to see succeed. Don't count on rewards. Bet with your head, not over it. =)
Got it. It's gambling!;)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes all investments involve gambling and contain risk, by definition.

Kickstarter is only one model btw, there are things like Kiva.org for helping 3rd world businesses form with micro loans and IndieGoGo which lets you fund ideas much more liberally than Ks does.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
DaveF said:
I still don't understand Kickstarter. If its not a store, why does it list all the items I'm getting for my money? If its an investment, why don't I get a shares and a dividend from the companies that are built? If its a charity, shouldn't it simply ask for money and send me a tote bag and PAL radio for my trouble? If it's high-tech begging, why is celeb Kristin Bell there, asking for my help?I've seen some projects that interest me, but I haven't "bought" anything because I can't figure out what it is.
I've participated in a few kickstarters, and I have to say I largely agree with you. I tend to bite on more grass roots type projects.Bands trying to scrape up money to put out an album and tour, independent film makers, or new products that didn't get corporate funding elsewhere. I have a hard time kikcing into larger profile things like Kriten Bell's Veronica Mars thing, or when David Fincher was looking for cash to fund a Goon cartoon. If you're in the hollywood system or a legitimate recording artist, it still twangs a bit wrong to be going this route. I'm willing to bet that the Mars movie will flop and if Trent Reznor or Radiohead can go truley independent then I don;t see why Amanda Palmer needs some money on kickstarter.

As far as the rewards go, I see it like getting a $15 DVD for a $100 pledge on PBS. The real reward is the final product that you're basically buying in advance to it being created.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yup exactly. Put it this way (in bold):
Given these facts, the idea that crowdfunding could be disruptive to the venture capital industry may have caused uncontrollable giggling in the VC conference rooms of Sand Hill Road. But what skeptics fail to realize is that the motivations of crowdfunding “investors” are different:

These are not quant investors looking to maximize financial returns while minimizing risk and volatility.

They don’t want to pour money down the drain, obviously, but their motivations differ substantively from those of traditional financial investors. Crowdfunders and angel investors, while not purely philanthropic, share the common desire to participate and be involved in the creation of something new.

Put another way, it’s more about cause than cash (a phrase I picked up from Kiva co-founder Jessica Jackley). And that desire is the disruptive “feature” of crowdfunding.
http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/04/the-next-big-thing-in-crowfdunding-kickstarting-people/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not sure I like this trend of setting goals at the $2m plus zones for trendy actors with grandiose plans....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1869987317/wish-i-was-here-1

I'd still back it if there were a digital download level for like $15. NONE of the levels give you a final copy of the movie tho? That seems dumb to me.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I'm looking for a partner to kickstart the vinyl versions of the Martyrs and Red Nights OST (+ downloads). I did put it up on a similar french site, but the backer who promised to buy half the pressing have withdrawn. I already have just over 40 buys from this earlier try. I need to reach 300.

Since I'm in France, I can't use Kickstart but it is the better, more exposed platform. Anyone can help, PM me.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Nope, we have the masters and sleeves ready, but we need at least 250 more pre-sales to fund it. Basically, the kickstart would be the number of people willing to pre-buy necessary to press it (it's a ltd edition of 500 copies).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK, but that still seems antithetical to the idea of kickstarter. You don't really have any of the work left to do, you just need sales over a specific hump...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Hey HD, I would try "Indiegogo". I'm not sure if they are international, but they are more lax and better suited for what you are doing with looking for a completion thing to release the titles that are ready to go.

Zach Braff is pulling a Veronica Mars to kickstart his Garden State follow up. I'll skip that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks