What's new

Kick'n around the Idead of sonosub...what do you think? (1 Viewer)

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Ok, I have been using a crappy cambridge soundowrks powered sub (12" diver, no idea what the specs are. It is boomy and doesn't go very low).

I have been using WinISD and here is what I have come up with:

1 tempest 15" Driver

Tube: 22" Outside diameter, 47" height, Volume:9.88ft^3 (280L)

Port: 6" Diamater 15" long tuned to 19.8Hz.

Driver in the bottom, port in the top.

Powered by AVA250 plate from Adire audio.

Stuffing? Do I need it?

Tuning. Is the rule of thumb better to go Low as possible or is there a point to really stop at or should I be more concerned about the shape of the plot. I assume I want a plot that rises fast with no peaks or vallies (in gain and SPL). What should I be looking for or looking out for in the phase and group delay plots?

Thanks in advance

Marc_E

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I implore you to download the LspCAD from the Adire Audio website when you are modelling Adire drivers. The program is free, but very powerful, and more accurate than WinISD for the Adire drivers.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Take Pat's advice. You'll see on the site that you can also download the Tempest .box files which will allow you to examine their recommended Tempest applications in detail, even change them if you're so inclined. The program will also let you get an idea of the performance you can expect in your own room.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys,

I will take a look at it.

By the way, what should I expect to pay for the tube? I am getting a couple of initial quotes of $86 for 20" and $115 for 24".

Thanks

Marc_E

oh Pat, awesome site about your sub construction. I spent about 1-2 hours yestarday reading and looking at the EXTENSIVE pics of the jobs. You answered a lot about general construction that I was wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks