kicker solobaric L7

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oachalon, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

I dont know if any of u are the car stereo guys but i was wondering what you guys think having a solobaric L7 in the house for the subwoofer.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Qts is too high on all of them. Only the 15" has a decent Fs. They also all have a rather high inductance (especially the 15"). There are also some serious drawbacks to using a square driver (surround linearity being the biggest one I think).

Look into Adire, Stryke and Parts Express. Better drivers for less money. The one that I think will interest you most is the Stryke AV series. Higher Vd than the L7 of equivalent size. Parameters much better suited to home use. And since I think you can still get the preorder price from Stryke, cost about half as much.

3. Oachalon

i dont know about for the money. It could be different for home but i have 2 in my car and they sound pretty good. I hit a 153.8db with them. I can get this driver a 12 for $100. You can make any driver sound good. Might be easier with others. Adire does make awesome drivers but if i was gonna get one i would get the tumult or the brahma, and i dont have the money for that. Im gonna borrow this sub from my friend and see how it sounds first.

4. Oachalon

i will check out that stryke.

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Seriously check out that Stryke AV-12...

I have one and it's a SERIOUS 12" driver. As dustin said
    it's better suited for home and actually displaces more
    air than the L7 does.

The excursion on the sub is astounding and the motor's
    control of the cone is terrific, in the right enclosure
    you are looking at one musical sub..

But don't expect to ever see anything like 150 Db in a home
    setup.. It takes the craziest of home subs (like the SVS
    B4+) just to hit 130 in a home and that is CRAZY.

Depending on the enclosure with one AV-12 you will see at
    least 112-114DB

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

One of Adire's sponsered SPL competitors earily on hit that with a single Tempest, 500W and a truck cab.

A hometheater room and a vehicle cabin are two very different environments (as Brett alluded to). One is very easy to get very loud in, the other isn't. One is very easy to play very low in (double digit cabin gain) the other isn't.

Yes, the box allignment will be very important to how the sub sounds. The room will also be very important (standing waves are formed at much higher frequencies in vehicles than they will be in hometheater rooms). But if the Qts is too high, no enclosure can bring it down enough. And if the Fs is too high, no enclosure will give you last octave extension. And if the inductance is too high the sub will sound slow and you'll get some irregularities in the response.

The Shiva and Tempest may not look like much (no fancy decals or chromed baskets), but they are very capable drivers for home use. Even the Shiva would walk all over a 12" L7 in the last octave.

Doing some quick checks on the internet every place I found wanted $220-$240 for a 12" L7. That's a hell of a deal you can get.

7. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

8. Oachalon

i know its completely different in a room compared to the car. The car is a lot smaller and then u have all that cabin gain. Well right now i have a kicker comp vr 10 in my room and it sounds pretty good i think it needs some more power and a bigger box tuned lower. Do u think thats a better choice than the L7 for a while. Since i already have it. My future sub will be a tumult.

9. Oachalon

since i have the comp vr i should try and see what i can do with that right.

10. Oachalon

whats the xmax on the stryke.

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

23mm one way with an 803cm^2 Sd for a resulting linear Vd of 3.7L.

It's possible to port this thing with a 6" flared port. If you want to go bass reflex with the Tumult you need to use a very long slot port or use a pair of Stryke's dual spider 18" passive radiators. The Tumult also needs a lot of power.

12. Oachalon

yeah i planned on that. The thing is power hungry. My buddy has the brahma in his car. Im pretty good at making speaker boxes since ive been doing that for a while in my car.