Kicker L7 HT sub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jasen Chandler, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Jasen Chandler

Jasen Chandler Stunt Coordinator

Pics are up below

NOTE: This whole project was built with a circular saw, gorilla glue, a brad nailer (you could use screws or nothing if you have enough clamps) on the floor of an unfinished room in my basement. My point? There is no excuse for you not to do a DIY box, now get to work.

Well I picked up a Kicker 15" L7 with less than an hour of play time on it for a price I couldn't refuse, $110. I have always been skeptical of square subs. Still I have heard some of the 10" L7s in some high end car audio SQ installations that sound really good.

So tonight after my friend and I got done framing in my downstairs bathroom we decided to build the box I designed for the sub. I started with the 6 cube box design on kickers website. The tuning frequency is right around 33 Hz. I modified the port dimensions using bass box to get it down to ~21 Hz. This makes for pretty flat response down to tuning.

Needless to say this box is a monster. Construction on the front panel, back panel, top and bottom is all 1" MDF, the sides of the box are 3/4" MDF. This was just some free scrap wood that I had lying around. We braced the box substantially and it weighs in at 86lbs before the driver. While I think the bracing will be sufficient, if the box resonates I am going to stiffen it with more bracing and fiberglass resin.

The box went together well considering all we had was a worm drive circular saw to do the cuts. My friend is a great carpenter. You'd think we had a table saw, the joints were that tight. We glued it together with gorilla glue and used brad nails and clamps to keep it all together until it dried. I went ahead and sealed all the seams with liquid nails (overkill since gorila glue expands) just in case I want to plug the port in the future.

Modeling shows I should be able to get up over 105 db down to 20hz with this badboy in my HT room.

Unfortunatly I didn't have the RCA-1/4" adaptors to hook my QSC amp up to my reciever to give it a listen. This is the cruelest torture I have yet to face. Haveing a monster sub with no way to hear it in the HT.

That said we took it out and hooked it up in another friends S-10 blazer with a JL 1000/1. All I have to say is damn. This sub has authority, serious authority. It'll be nice to hear what it sounds like inside the HT as it took nothing to get crazy SPL out of it in the car. Now it isn't as accurate as the owners single 10w6, it seems a bit slower at lower volumes and at higher bass frequencies. My guess is some phasing issues with the port, as soon as you turn up the volume the attack is much better? Any guesses on why this could be? Perhaps an accoustic anomoly with the S-10?

We hooked the sub up outside the S-10, just sat it on the ground and let it play, I think it would make a pretty decent PA sub as the bass is just huge.

I'll let you know how it sounds on the HT as soon as I get it hooked up. I'll post pics of the construction on Monday.

My biggest fear with this sub is that it is just going to be too "muddy" sounding. While I am confident in the subs abilities in the lowest ocataves and playing Rap and Industrial metal, I am worried about overal sound quality.

I'll let you guys know, either way it was a fun way to spend a couple of hours and if anything the pure size of this sub makes a statement.

2. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

i have 2 L7 12s in my car and they do get loud but they are not the most accurate. You can make them accurate but it takes some work. I still like them. I have tried an adire audio brahma in my car which is more sq orientated and the L7 actually sounded better in my car. Must be the resonant frequency and everything. For room though my tempest sounds much better for movies, but i did put my kickers in here once to see how it was and they were better for music but not even close for movies. Just my experience.

3. Jasen Chandler

Well I hooked it up to my 150x2 QSC. I need way more power. Don't get me wrong this sub gets loud but it is inefficient. More later when I can do some more listening.

4. MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo Stunt Coordinator

Jasen,
    I had 2 S15L5 in big sealed boxes for HT, they soak up the watts. I had a PE plate amp (270 watts) on ea VC, and never bottomed them. Sold one to buy an AV15, and tho the AV15 will bottom with a PE amp on ea coil and the Solo wont, the AV sounds SOOOO much better than the Solo, I hope you have a chance to do a side-by-side sometime with something else. I'm not knocking your rig; I have one still, although Id rather have another AV15. [​IMG] Its now in a 6cu ft sealed, got sick of the huge box [​IMG]
    Have fun

5. Jasen Chandler

Alright, here are the pics: Sorry for the poor quality, I didn't bother to clean the lens as the camera was sitting in the room where we were building and we were pushed for time. I also still had it in closeup mode.

I have done a bunch more listening with the sub. My conclusions thusfar are that I need triple the power and the box needs more bracing. The sound however is AWESOME! Now this is no Tumult (yes I have heard a couple) but your also talking my total build cost was $120 including the driver. This sub has some serious authority. I am going to get the SPL meter out and do some in room measurements when the wife isn't home.

http://www.automags.org/forums/attac...id=83717&stc=1
    http://www.automags.org/forums/attac...id=83718&stc=1
    http://www.automags.org/forums/attac...id=83719&stc=1
    Yup that is a 2x4 glued to a piece of 1" MDF which has another piece underneath it.
    http://www.automags.org/forums/attac...id=83720&stc=1
    http://www.automags.org/forums/attac...id=83721&stc=1
    Yup, that's a square hole, 14 1/8"x14 1/8"
    http://www.automags.org/forums/attac...id=83723&stc=1

6. Jasen Chandler

Just wanted to mention I'm up for some amp suggestions. Sub is dual 4 ohm.

7. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

L7s love power trust me. So get as much as you can. Im giving my 12s 700 each and they ask for more. Like i said before they are good for music but not real good for movies.

8. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

9. Jasen Chandler

Thanks for the suggestions on the amps mark.

Oachalon- My sub seems to do better on movies as long as I keep the volume reasonable (to keep the amp from clipping). I am hearing all kinds of deep bass that I have been without for a while. I will be getting a bigger amp here shortly. I am taking the driver out of the box tonight and I am going to brace it some more and apply some fiberglass resin to the seams and around the braces.

10. MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo Stunt Coordinator

I like the slot port, whats it tuned to ?

11. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

Maybe try a berringer europower, 2.5kw....which should be way more than enough. Im not sure youll get full potential out of the amp with that coil config though.