What's new

Kickass new SmartWatch (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
And in this corner, another vote for Android Wear notifications being a disaster, the display being impossible to see in daylight, and the designs being so ugly that they were banned from a wedding. "Certainly not stylish or slim"
There are those who "love to have exactly the same content on their phone and watch because it gives them the comfort that they don't need to pull out their phones," he said. Then there are those, including me, who want a watch to report just what's important.For that second user, there's simply not enough customization yet. Either I get buzzed every time someone emails me, or I don't get any email alerts at all. Sure, the watch helps me look at my phone less, but I'd prefer a middle ground, where my wrist vibrates only when my editor or fiancée emails me. Mr. Singleton says Google is working on contact-specific notifications and the next version of Android, due out this fall, will have deeper notification controls.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/android-wear-review-putting-the-smartphone-on-your-wrist-1404238915

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I didn't take the review as damning. There were a lot of positives with the negatives. And supposedly the notifications will get some real tweaking in a few months. The wedding bit was funny and honest. But it's a wedding. And she was clearly in the wedding party. Even a conventional watch, if the wrong style, could get booted.It's an early adopter device. It's not for me. Doesn't solve my problems yet. But the enthusiasts like Ron can't spend their money fast enough :) and they'll take the lumps for the rest of us for a couple years until these are useful.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As for me, it's wait and see. Google Now is impressive, but in a tech demo way. Google telling me every morning my commute will be like it is every day? That's a nuisance, not a benefit. But, if it can only chime in with an alternative route when there's serious traffic jam? That would be great. Boarding pass from email? I currently check in with the United app, boarding pass goes into Passbook, and is available from my lock screen automatically. Instead, telling the United app to email the boarding pass, so google can rummage through my emails and find it, and bring it up? It's not apparent that's a real winner.Still, it's intriguing. Smart, automatic and useful info has a lot of potential. I'm excited about what else could be done with it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
DaveF said:
I didn't take the review as damning. There were a lot of positives with the negatives. And supposedly the notifications will get some real tweaking in a few months.
The wrap up seemed pretty damning to me, she says buying one now would be stupid and she is going to turn off the signature feature of the device:
The first smartwatches from Google's platform are the smartest yet but buying one right now would be stupid. Not only are there more stylish Android Wear watches and improved software coming soon, but Apple is expected to release its own watch before the year's end.For the time being, I'll still be digging in my bag for my phone—and wishing for that third arm.
Actually it's not clear if that means she will continue to wear her (presumably free) copy and turn off notifications, she has to send back the review unit, or she just won't use the review unit again.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good point. I was filtering it: these phones will certainly get whatever the software update is this Fall and will presumably get more finesse on notifications. They're big and ugly, but I don't think the early adopters care (they're not trying to be bridesmaids).

Put simply: Average Joe should avoid. But we already knew that. But Early-Adopter Earl sees a functioning smart watch with all day battery and Google Now and says "Shut Up and Take My Money!"

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This question sounds familiar:http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/07/silicon-valley-obsessing-over-smartwatches.html?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=emailHere's the thing tho. We all asked similar Qs before the iPhone shipped. iPad is 'just a big iPod touch'. And while others haven't cracked this nut yet apparently Apple thinks they have the key. So either Apple is going in an entirely different direction or.... Well they aren't the Apple of old. The press wants you to believe door #2, I don't.I personally keep coming back to the thing that makes, for me, these existing solutions duds: The ties to a smartphone. If I had one wild pie in the sky idea of how Apple could differentiate themselves in a way that made a difference that would be it. Kill the reliance on a Smartphone, maybe even make it a fully functional phone with text and internet all on its own. But would even that be enough?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was thinking similar thoughts today. We've spent seven years watching smartphones wean themselves off of being computer peripherals. We're still not there yet. Smartwatches are the next smaller stacking doll, and are tethered to a smartphone.

I don't know that anyone wants a smart watch. I don't know what they'll do or how they'll do it better. But I'm convinced -- and have been for 20 years -- that this is detour. As are smartphones.

The next major step in personal computing is ubiquitous computing, augmented reality...e.g. Google Glass done right. Glass is an early tech demo. But I have no doubt that's the next major step. Seamless computing, adding information on top of reality. But, the real use is simply scifi: embedded into contact lenses (or, really out there, intra-ocular implants.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Seeing as how none of the ones on the market come close to making the cut I'd say it sets a minimum acceptable level that nothing even aspired to yet.

I've said it before but these companies need a CE-No. Someone who stops them before they put crap on the market.
http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/27/the-vp-of-devils-advocacy/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My problem with the article is "do something awesome" is meaningless at best and tautological at worst. The middle section of Mr. Pierce's essay could be removed with no loss of content.Moreover, I'm not sure he's right on the explicit part vis a vis being a watch. The "phone" part of the iPhone is my least used "app". I keep wondering if everyone's too focused on the "watch" thing and there's really a more useful "data band" solution in the works?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
That looks very nice. Compared to Samsung and LG's offering, it's downright elegant.

Now tell me again -- what does it do?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Saw my first gear in the wild, I mistook it for a pebble. Wasn't nearly as bulky as I expected and was worn by someone I wouldn't describe as geeky. She was pretty happy with it in the short time I asked her about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks