What's new

Khef, ka and ka-tet - Any Dark Tower fans excited over Book 5? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Michael:

Do not let that get in the way of enjoying what, IMO, is King's Grand Opus.

No Roland does not get healed or made whole. But he is not meant to. In all things he was right-handed (writing, etc.) but in gunplay both hands were equally adept and equally deadly. Even his diminished hand still plays a role.

Furthermore, his right hand is replaced, symbolically, with those of his Ka-Tet. Trust me, I was also upset way back when I read that part, but the years and thousands of pages show that it is a required act in the Gunslinger's world.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
John, you and me both! I haven't gotten the message from DMG though my card has been charged. I don't mind if it doesn't get here all that fast because I might be tempted to open it up and start reading if I have to wait too long until the trade hardcover comes out! (I try to keep the DMG versions in great shape, and use the Grant/Viking HCs as my reading copies)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I received the first 4 books for Christmas last year and haven't cracked one open yet. Summer marathon? Well, if so, maybe I timed it right so I wouldn't have to wait so long for the end of this series.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Carlos:

Thanks for the response. Your reply gives me some courage and motivation to read the books. One big plus on its side: it will be DONE after this year, unlike many other fantasy series.

This year looks to be a banner year for books, for me:
  • George R R Martin's 4th book in A Song of Ice and Fire
  • Tad Williams' Shadowmarch
  • Stephen R Donaldson's The Runes of the Earth, a new Thomas Covenant novel

So if I don't get to the Dark Tower books this year, then next year for sure. Will be nice being able to read them straight through with no waiting.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For all those procrastinating so as to not "have to wait for the series to conclude" ;)

Keep in mind that Book 7 (The Dark Tower) is going to be release September 21, 2004. That's only 4 months from now (or, sooner than you'll get your Return of the King Extended Edition and the same time you'll get your Star Wars OT on DVD)! And if you haven't started yet, will you honestly get through:

Book 1: 256 pgs
Book 2: 406 pgs
Book 3: 448 pgs
Book 4: 672 pgs
Book 5: 736 pgs
Book 6: 432 pgs (released June 8, 2004)
---------------
Total: 2950 pgs

in four months? So come one, come all, Constant Reader! Get on the Dark Tower bandwagon and let's take the ride of our (and King's) life!

Khef, ka and ka-tet. We are one made from many.
:)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I'm very much looking forward to SoS but disappointed it's only 432 pages long. I was hoping both books 6 and 7 would check in around 800 pages. Oh well.

I can't believe we're only a couple of months from actually getting to the Dark Tower! I was beginning to think King would never finish this series. Let's hope book 7 concludes this masterpiece series in a satisfying way.

>>George R R Martin's 4th book in A Song of Ice and Fire

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Haven't read it yet, Dome. In order to delay the wait for #7, I began re-reading Wolves of the Calla, which I had only read once anyway. I'm about 1/2 through it, and should start Song of Susannah around early-mid July.

I've read online reviews and I'm sensing a Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions trend: most who liked Reload were disappointed w/ Rev, and vice versa. There were a lot of reviews that thought SOS was better than WOTC. Others thought the way Dome does, that SOS was a disappointment.

To me, I rather liked WOTC, but I don't pre-judge. I'll make up my own mind about SOS and I'm not affected by word-o-mouth too much. I remember the buzz on Insomnia being very negative initially, and I think it's one of his better works.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Haven't read it yet, Dome. In order to delay the wait for #7, I began re-reading Wolves of the Calla, which I had only read once anyway. I'm about 1/2 through it, and should start Song of Susannah around early-mid July.

I've read online reviews and I'm sensing a Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions trend: most who liked Reload were disappointed w/ Rev, and vice versa. There were a lot of reviews that thought SOS was better than WOTC. Others thought the way Dome does, that SOS was a disappointment.

To me, I rather liked WOTC, but I don't pre-judge. I'll make up my own mind about SOS and I'm not affected by word-o-mouth too much. I remember the buzz on Insomnia being very negative initially, and I think it's one of his better works.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The thing about WOTC was that it lacked the mythical/post apocalyptic feel of the first four novels. The fourth book remains my favorite, but it and WOTC shared a lot of Western conventions, the latter being moreso. I liked WOTC, but I guess it's naturally since I loved Wizard and Glass so much I feel slightly let down.

SOS doesn't have much going for it, except for a humorous

cameo by Stephen King. And I thought Charlie Kaufman was nuts. :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The thing about WOTC was that it lacked the mythical/post apocalyptic feel of the first four novels. The fourth book remains my favorite, but it and WOTC shared a lot of Western conventions, the latter being moreso. I liked WOTC, but I guess it's naturally since I loved Wizard and Glass so much I feel slightly let down.

SOS doesn't have much going for it, except for a humorous

cameo by Stephen King. And I thought Charlie Kaufman was nuts. :)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just finished SoS and I'm not sure how I feel. I loved the first half with the ambush at the store
but I'm just not sure how I feel about the book from that point on. Specifically, King writing himself into the series. I had a feeling it was heading that way but it's not sitting very well with me at the moment. If I have it right, the premise is that someone (Roland) or something has been contacting King and prompting him to write the story of the Dark Tower in order to help save it. At the same time someone (the Crimson King?) or something has been trying to keep King from writing the story. Right? Then, in the wordslinger's diary we find out that King is killed on 6/19/99. I guess we're supposed to now assume that it's anyone's guess as to whether or not Roland can make it to the Tower, now that King in the Key World is no longer alive to write Roland's story?

I'm also confused about some of the other plot lines (Discordia, for example) but I have to admit that it's been a long, long time since I read the first four books. Maybe if I go back and re-read them it would clarify some of the stuff in SoS.

Another thing, I was really pulled in to the build-up with Jake and Callahan going into the Dixie Pig to get Susannah and then it friggin stops! Then, it happens AGAIN when the Chap is born.
I hate cliffhangers! Thank god the last book comes out in a few months.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just finished SoS and I'm not sure how I feel. I loved the first half with the ambush at the store
but I'm just not sure how I feel about the book from that point on. Specifically, King writing himself into the series. I had a feeling it was heading that way but it's not sitting very well with me at the moment. If I have it right, the premise is that someone (Roland) or something has been contacting King and prompting him to write the story of the Dark Tower in order to help save it. At the same time someone (the Crimson King?) or something has been trying to keep King from writing the story. Right? Then, in the wordslinger's diary we find out that King is killed on 6/19/99. I guess we're supposed to now assume that it's anyone's guess as to whether or not Roland can make it to the Tower, now that King in the Key World is no longer alive to write Roland's story?

I'm also confused about some of the other plot lines (Discordia, for example) but I have to admit that it's been a long, long time since I read the first four books. Maybe if I go back and re-read them it would clarify some of the stuff in SoS.

Another thing, I was really pulled in to the build-up with Jake and Callahan going into the Dixie Pig to get Susannah and then it friggin stops! Then, it happens AGAIN when the Chap is born.
I hate cliffhangers! Thank god the last book comes out in a few months.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It is taking all of my willpower not to read your spoilers! :D

But thank you for using the tags. :)

I've heard some complaints about SOS and I'm going to have to make up my own mind when I read it. I do agree that at least he's wrapping it up soon. I'm thinking maybe part of the complaints for SOS are driven because the payoff hasn't been given yet (in Book 7). After that's out, we can all re-read SOS and judge it in context.

With Books 1-4, he wrote without pressure of the next book. He hadn't been hit by the van yet, fear of mortality hadn't set in yet. So he could craft compelling, self-contained stories (except #3 which did end in a cliffhanger as well, can you imagine waiting, what was it, 5 years for that to conclude?). But starting w/ WOTC, he concentrated on writing the last three at once. So he could leave SOS on a cliffhanger (I'm assuming based on the posts here) because he knew #7 was a few months away.

I'm 3/4 through WOTC and will probably begin SOS either this weekend or the 4th of July weekend. Can't wait!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It is taking all of my willpower not to read your spoilers! :D

But thank you for using the tags. :)

I've heard some complaints about SOS and I'm going to have to make up my own mind when I read it. I do agree that at least he's wrapping it up soon. I'm thinking maybe part of the complaints for SOS are driven because the payoff hasn't been given yet (in Book 7). After that's out, we can all re-read SOS and judge it in context.

With Books 1-4, he wrote without pressure of the next book. He hadn't been hit by the van yet, fear of mortality hadn't set in yet. So he could craft compelling, self-contained stories (except #3 which did end in a cliffhanger as well, can you imagine waiting, what was it, 5 years for that to conclude?). But starting w/ WOTC, he concentrated on writing the last three at once. So he could leave SOS on a cliffhanger (I'm assuming based on the posts here) because he knew #7 was a few months away.

I'm 3/4 through WOTC and will probably begin SOS either this weekend or the 4th of July weekend. Can't wait!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Overall I liked SOS.

I think these sort of things need time to breathe before being judged (i.e. good book, bad book, etc.).

I remember there was a huge backlash vs. Wizard and Glass, most of them echoing the sentiment "whathafuh? they only got like 3 footsteps closer to the Tower!"

Of course that book is now among the top candidates for "favorite of the series."

I really like the structure of SOS, with what King is trying to do by writing to the different stanzas of a song or poem (or commala).

And believe it or not, I like the narcissitic parts of it too (but then again I like when Hitch put himself in movies, and I liked Shyamalan's turn in Signs).

I don't think that when all is said and done SOS will be anywhere near the top book of the series, but I think it was a solid effort, as was WotC.

Wizard and Glass still remains my favorite of the series thus far, though I have high hopes for The Dark Tower.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
OK - copied this from the other thread:
Link to a picture of the Crimson King. Artwork is my Micheal Whelan. Avoid if you want to remain spoiler free.
Crimson King

I rank the books as follows; Drawing of the Three, The WasteLands, Wolves of the Calla, and Song of Susannah in one group. Wizard & Glass slightly lower. The Gunslinger is off in it's own corner. It works well as a standalone book and is more mysterious than the others.

W&G gets a slightly lower rating purely because I find the current ka-tet more interesting. Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and Callahan carry alot more emotional baggage than did Cuthbert, Alain and Susan. This makes them more interesting to me dramatically.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I rank them like this, and of course, the old Star Wars / Empire Strikes Back conundrum exists: you may like ESB, it may be the better movie, but you need SW for ESB to make any sense. ;)

I do find the new Tet compelling, but I love reading about how Roland became the hardcase that he is, and seeing his past love.

Favorite so far: W&G
Tier 2: DoTT, WotC
The rest: Wastelands, SOS, DT1 rewrite.

All on its own: original DT1. I understand why King rewrote it, but I do like the "pompous up-n-coming writer trying to be myterious and ethereal" style of it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks