KF##WE610 Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MikeLievre, May 12, 2004.

1. MikeLievre

MikeLievre Auditioning

Greetings,

I am in the market for a KF50WE610. Usually I'm not one to buy extended warranties - the reason being if there is going to be a product defect, it is usually going to rear it's ugly head in the first year during the standard manufacturer's warranty period. However, since these TV's are somewhat pricey I'd like to ensure I get prolonged value for my money spent.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what warranty to purchase and from where? I've read here and there in different forums that people have been able to obtain multi-year warranties that cover the bulb. If this is true then the warranty would be of a much greater value as the bulb is going to be the most likely component to go as time goes on.

Has anyone managed to find a Canadian based extended warranty that covers bulb replacement. If not, what warranties have people purchased and why any particular one over others.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The bulb is a consumable ... like tires on a car. If you cannot afford the cost of a replacement bulb 4 years down the line ... then get a warranty that covers this.

Mind you, the bulb is expected to die under normal conditions in about 6 to 8 years and no warranty goes out that far.

As for the rest of it ... it's pretty solid state. Warranty won't cover dead pixels ... so either there is something really wrong with it right off ... or there isn't.

The polarizer filter issue may appear two years down the road though ...

regards

3. MikeLievre

MikeLievre Auditioning

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand the bulb is a consumable, but just like tires, there's a possibility the bulb will blow out far before its indicated life span. It's not that I can't afford to replace the bulb, the comment I was making was that if I could find a warranty that included bulb replacement it would help justify to me the cost of the warranty.

You mention that a warranty will not cover dead pixels. Is there ever a circumstance where there would be a large number of dead pixels clustered together that would be noticable from a considerable viewing distance, and if so, would this still not be covered by warranty?

Thanks,

Mike

4. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

As for the rest of it ... it's pretty solid state. Warranty won't cover dead pixels ... so either there is something really wrong with it right off ... or there isn't.

That depends on the warranty, lots of them due, won't cover just one pixel but will cover if there is more than that.