What's new

Keyboard and mouse for Mac? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need a new keyboard and mouse for my Mac. I'm probably returning to my old, wired, Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite and old skool ball-mouse, Logitech Mouse Man Wheel -- both nearly 10 years old -- because a brand new MS Wireless Laser Keyboard and Mouse simply doesn't work properly and I couldn't find anything else I particuarly liked better. But I'm open to suggestions.

I don't like Apple's keyboard and Mighty Mouse. I prefer an ergo keyboard (split or curved). I wanted Apple-specific (with splat key), but am willing to go Windows now, since Mac-specific is so limited for ergo. The mouse needs bi-directional tilt and forward/backwards buttons (e.g. Microsoft Laser 6000). And my budget is < $100 for the whole kit. And I'm wondering if I should avoid wireless in general, since my brand new one works so poorly here.

My best bet is a $10 PS/2 to USB adapter for my old hardware. (sigh) :frowning:

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I use a Kensington Si300 Laser Mouse-- it's pretty sensitive, and has a tilting scroll wheel.

edit: oh it only has three buttons. oh well. Anyway, I've found that my "laser" mouse is faster and more accurate than my old "optical" which, in turn, was loads better than my roller ball. Your mac probably has a bluetooth receiver. so that's another possibility.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Not sure if this will help you or not, bit I own the
Logitech Wireless s530 combo.

Coming from a DiNovo wireless combo that was not compatible
with my Mac, I wasn't particularly happy with the s530.

First, it's white. Yuck! Secondly, it's rather lackluster in response.
Third, it seems to make typos now and then. My friend Steve Simon
(on this forum) returned his for that same reason.

Still, I am guessing that it is probably the best combo unit out
there. Certainly rated very high on the Mac forums.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's the one I'm returning because it doesn't work well: the mouse loses clicks. That keyboard is exactly what I wanted -- nice design, good price, wireless, and Mac specific with the command key. But the wireless system performs very poorly (at least that unit in my house). Checking some more online, it's a 28MHz system and reviews comment on mediocre mouse performance. I'm guessing I've too much interference here. A 2.4 GHz system might work better.

Ron -- I'll keep that in mind. There's a lot I like about that keyboard and mouse kit. And I don't mind white; my last keyboard was white. But I became a fan of ergonomic keyboards in grad school and that's still my first choice.

I've found I can use MS software to swap the Windows and Alt keys on a MS keyboard to make it functionally the same layout as an Apple keyboard -- the Command (Alt) Key next to the space bar. So that gives me additional options.

Unfortunately, the system I really want is $300 and Windows specific :) Or this affordable one if I go non-wireless.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I use Apple's Wireless (Bluetooth) Keyboard with my Mac Mini. I find it just as responsive as a wired keyboard. I know Apple's mice aren't everyone's favorite, but I also use the Apple Wireless (Bluetooth) Mighty Mouse, which also find just as responsive as the wired version.

BTW, the Mac Mini is my home theater PC. I upgraded it by replacing the 1.66 Core Duo with a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo. That made it plenty fast enough for running 1080p movie trailers and other HD content on my 70" JVC LCoS! The Mini is in the equipment stand under the JVC and I kick-back in the recliner with the keyboard and mouse! Works great!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks