What's new

kevin smith (1 Viewer)

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
this guy sucks imho....all he does is the same type of movie over and over...now I hear that he is doing another movie called 'jersey girl' and another 'clerks' movie.

what the heck happened to this "new jersey trilogy?" why did it have to turn into the trilogy plus 4???

is this guy ever going to do something different??? I liked clerks...but his rehashing of the same types of movies really piss me off...its time for him to branch out

thanks for letting me vent

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
Sometimes you just can't win. If he had done a political thriller for his second movie everyone would have been sceaming "Why didn't you do another movie like Clerks?" Kevin Smith is not the greatest writer director of all time; but I thourouly enjoy all of his movies. I appreciate that he makes movies that are first and formost fun. Criticize him if you want; but he is making the type of movies that others are not, he is unique.

As far as the Jersey Trilogy is concerned, he extended it too four movies. Technically "Jersey Girl" is not a part of that univers of characters. However, you will still be upset because you will see plenty of the same actors that Kevin likes to use and there will be the same brand of humor. It should play more like Amy though, my personal favorite.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Smith sets all his films in New Jersey. He seems to be as attached to it as Woody Allen is to New York City. That hardly means that the films are all the same.

M.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
He's tried branching out. He wrote several drafts of movies (like Superman Reborn) that were rejected. It seems that his New Jersey movies (which Jersey Girl is not supposed to be a part of in the idea of the View Askewniverse) are the only ones he can get greenlighted.

Don't blame Smith for the bullshit Hollywood system (of which I suffer the same affliction). If he had his way he'd be shooting Fletch Won with Jason Lee as Fletch. But they won't approve Lee as a lead so Smith won't make the movie. At least he has some integrity.

And Jersey Girl is supposed to exorcise his feelings on fatherhood (of which he now is) and I think as an artist that's admirable.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I used to think Kevin Smith was the bomb. When I first saw Clerks, I loved it. However, it my opinion that Smith is definitely overrated. His point and shoot cinemetography is atrocious, and his dialogue consists of overlong, wordy runon sentences nobody would say in a normal conversation.

Clerks and Chasing Amy were pretty good, since they were for the most part grounded in reality, but Mallrats, Dogma, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, were just horrible, with its over the top setting and antics.

Just pop in some Jay and Silent Bob antics, some pop culture references (preferably Star Wars) crude sexual humor, and characters from other View Askew flicks popping in and there you have it. Smith is doing the right thing by closing the door on the View Askewniverse.

EDIT:

So Smith was pretty much pigeonholed by Hollywood into making more View Askew films. I did not know that.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I LOVED "Clerks" when I first saw it. "Mallrats" was OK too. I then saw "Dogma" on DVD and it was barely OK.

But recently I saw "Chasing Amy" for the first time, and that was an AWESOME movie. I had no idea Smith could write that good, it really was en excellent movie, by far his best.

I won't touch J&SBSB though, the trailer was awful, and I don't care for those two guys anyway.

He is an overrated writer, but he does his thing good. Too bad it gets tiresome quickly.

Oh, and why does he ALWAYS seem to wear the same clothes (not in the movies, but in real life)? That sleveless hooded sweater looks like crap...

/Mike

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I strongly, strongly agree with MickeS and Richard Kim. The sloppy editing of both screenplay and film bother me. However, I think the guy has talent, as Clerks did show. Maybe if he directed another writer's script, he would be more (critically) successful?

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Okay, everybody dissing Smith in this thread is going to get a Grade-A ass whooping from me. :)
I've been a fan of Smith ever since I saw Chasing Amy. The man is a great screenwriter (not like most no-talented hacks in Hollywood... like say Avika Goldsman who deserves to be shot) and at sometimes a great director (like when he decides to move the camera :)).
His films might not be cinematic achivements, but us geeky fan boys :) love his films and we can usually identify with some of the characters in his films (Dante AND Randall in Clerks, Brodie in Mallrats, Holden in Chasing Amy... umm, I'll have to get back on you for Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back :D) and scenarios during the films. Also, I love the many pop-culture references. :)
Also, Clerks: Sellout is a "spin-off" of the Clerks: The Animated Series which was a "spin-off" of the movie. All Kevin Smith is doing for the film is providing the voice of Silent Bob and writing the script.
Jersey Girl, will not be apart of the View Askew series. It's a film on fatherhood, or as some have called it, a film in the same vein as She's Having a Baby. Even if it might have some of the same actors as previous Smith films (Affleck, Adams, Lee), who cares? All three of them are good actors and Smith is a good screenwriter/director so the film shouldn't be that bad.
And Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back WAS the LAST film in the View Askewniverse. Clerks: Sellout will have very little to do with the View Askewniverse, just like the television show had very little to do with it (other than bringing back six of the characters from the movie and putting them into different situations that will never be referenced in anything else).
And also it's nice to get your information correct before venting. ;)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I have been a huge fan of Kevin Smith ever since I rented Dogma (and loved it) and subsequently backtracked through his filmography, from Chasing Amy back to Mallrats back to Clerks. I thought Chasing Amy was okay but I have definitely enjoyed it more upon recent viewings. As for Mallrats, I thought it was also just okay upon my first viewing but after buying the DVD and listening to the commentary (the funniest ever, IMHO), I have found new respect for it. Clerks is my favorite (with Dogma). I work behind a counter in retail and my love life is constantly down the tubes so the character of Dante is very close to my heart. As for Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, I liked it a lot. It was just an excuse to have fun and visit some old friends. I saw a sneak preview and the audience enthusiasm was unparalleled. I also think the animated series is brilliant. What other show or film would parody Marathon Man in the first episode?

Smith has admitted that he isn't the best director in the world and, to a certain extent, it's true. But he is a great writer and I can only hope to be half as good as him.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'm a fan of Smith and always look forward when a new project is announced. Until last night when I was random searching on imdb I didn't even know he was making Jersey Girl how did this slip by me :confused:
His talents as a writer are better than his directorial skills, and I don't really think cinematography is a big part of his movies and style, hell he even mocks himself about his shooting style.
I haven't checked in on much Smith news lately is it true that he isn't making "Fletch" anymore?? I was never a big fan of the Chevy Chase ones but if Lee was to star then it gets a :emoji_thumbsup: from me.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
C'mon Matthew, who are you kidding? After the quotes from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back you posted awhile back ( for which your mom should've washed your ummm... keyboard ) in After Hours we all know that you like Smith because of his potty mouth. :)
- Walter.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I've enjoyed Smith's work but will agree that he is over-rated. A little bit of him goes a long way. Either that or I'm finally maturing! :D BTW, Chasing Amy is my favorite Smith flick.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
FAN BOYS UNITE!!!!!

I can't say anything more about about smith that the supporters in this thread have already said.

"Unlike me you would beat up somebody's grandmother."

"Yeah but only if they were really old"

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure Kevin Smith is still planning to do Fletch Won after Jersey Girl. I read News Askew daily and I haven't seen any news about him leaving the project because they wouldn't cast Lee. As far as I know it's still on...

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Regardless of what everyone thinks of him, he really is just a normal Joe trying to get into the film business. And he has stuck to being original (though his films may seem the same, they are the same only to his particular style/direction) in trying to do so; he has become successful because of his originality. I think that's a very good quality about him. He is also more personable than most directors via his DVD supplements. Not too many people do that. Plus, I really enjoy his sense of humor. Just my .02

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I am personally very jealous of Mr. Smith. He made a little black and white film on his own that eventually got noticed and distributed by a major hollywood studio.

Ever since then he has been making films that he wants to make. They have plenty of dick and fart jokes and inside references that only he and his circle of friends understand. Reminds me of all the films I made in High School and College.

I wonder if Miramax would be interested in my High School classics: "The Nine Lives Of The Three Blind Mice" or "The Green Room"?

I don't feel the need to defend Kevin Smith as I am sure he doesn't even pay attention to criticism anymore. He does what he wants and I'll be damned if I wouldn't want to do exactly the same thing.

I doubt anyone of us would really care what others thought if we went to work doing exactly what we wanted.

With that, I give you this to ponder:

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."

-JP

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing a Malcolm McDowell interview and him saying how after Clockwork Orange, Kubrick wouldn't even answer his phonecalls, and really being almost embarressed by it because Iloved his films so much. When a director becomes famous , it's almost impossible to divorce the movie from him....Woody Allen probably being the most extreme.

Most of the actors are in Kevin's films because they want to be...a few make a lot less then normal because they know Kevin is real ...and not a hollywood 'lets do lunch' person.

I guess knowing he still is basically the same person and someone who would probably stop and talk to a fan instead of having a body guard break your camera; helps me look over flawls in his films.

...but I do like them a lot and for dick & fart jokes, they are on the top of the dick & fart heap!

RogerB

Second Unit
...is overrated. He makes bad movies. Really bad movies.

If you put Kevin Smith and Russell Crowe in the same room....well, you couldn't because their heads are too big. Really big.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Not every movie has to be a classic. Some just merely attempt to entertain. I think Kevin Smith tries to entertain. If his humor is not your cup of tea, then thats OK. I personally find them extremely funny, and for 90 minutes or so, I'm entertained. I Laugh and feel better. I applaud his attempt to move on. Most of us have aspirations we would like to achieve. He is trying to move on and up. I wish him luck, and will support him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks