Kevin Smith Trilogy Set??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, Jan 29, 2004.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I recently picked up Criterion's Chasing Amy DVD earlier in the week, and was just wondering if there would ever be a possibility that Clerks, Mallrats & Chasing Amy would ever be reissued and packaged together in some sort of box-set, perhaps with the "Evening With Kevin Smith" DVD included as a supplemental bonus disc?

I know there are talks of a 10th Anniversary Edition of Clerks, and Criterion's Chasing Amy seems to be the definitive release (as with all Criterion discs), but what about Mallrats? The current edition seems to have many features, should I go ahead and pick this one up or is it possible that this will also be re-issued around the time of the Clerks 10th Ann. Ed. and is there a chance that all 3 films might be packaged together as a box-set?

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Clerks -> Miramax
    Mallrats -> Universal Studios
    Chasing Amy ->Criterion/Miramax
    Dogma -> Columbia Tristar
    Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back -> Dimension Films/Miramax
    An Evening with Kevin Smith -> Columbia Tristar

There's no chance that Columbia Tristar, Universal and Miramax are going to team together for a Kevin Smith boxset of any sort... just buy the individuals.

It's as good or even better than the Chasing Amy disc... so you should be happy with it.

3. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

I don't know if there'll ever be a box set--Dogma and Mallrats were made at different studios than the other 3--not that it stopped the Kubrick Collection--but then again, Smith isn't Kubrick.

It's probably safe to buy the Mallrats SE--I doubt that's going to get revisited, and what's on the disc is a LOT of pretty decent supplements, as well as one of the most entertaining commentaries ever. I don't think Smith plans on revisiting it--there's not really much else you can do with it.

If there WERE to be a box set, chances are it'd be the 5 Askewniverse movies plus "An Evening With" instead of just Clerks, Mallrats and Amy. But I don't think it'll happen because of the rights issues.

4. ScottAvery

ScottAvery Auditioning

Jay & Silent Bob's Secret Staqsh (Kevin's comic shop) used to sell a "box set box" so you could put your 3 DVDs in to a nice box. They were published by 3 different studios, so you won't get them in one package.

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks for all the info, I think Im gonna pick up Mallrats tonight. Im also gonna keep a look out on Ebay for that box...

Thanks!

6. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Studios have joined together on box sets on more than one occastion (the Kubrick set and Oliver Stone set are 2 notable examples). Having said that, the reason I think there's no chance of a Smith set is because of Dogma. That was originally at Miramax or one of the other Disney-owned studios, but later went to Columbia because Disney dropped it due to its controversial content. Because of that, I'm sure Disney doesn't want their name associated with that film at all.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks!!!

I'm gonna send an email to Paul Champagne (I have a few items I'd like to order from him), and see if he can do a custom 6-disc set for all 5 films plus the q&a dvd.

Btw, does anyone know if the upcoming Clerks X is supposed to be a double-disc set?

Thanks again!!!

9. KerryK

KerryK Stunt Coordinator

I have heard some rumors that a Clerks anniversary edition is being planned.

10. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

Future Shop released a package of Smith's first 3 films together and advertised as the Jersey Trilogy. They just included the 3 disc's wrapped together. No special packaging or extras. It was cheap though: $50 Can and that was when the films were going for $30 each.

11. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    viewaskew has stated that Clerks X (the 10th anniversary special edition) is in the works.

12. Mark Z

Mark Z Stunt Coordinator

MarcoBiscotti, I sent you an e-mail.

Mark Z

13. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

You might want to save room for this as well...

(Kevin Smith's latest post on ViewAskew)

14. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I want him to come to UCF [​IMG]