What's new

Kevin Smith movies in what order? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi,

With this Jay and Silent Bob DVD out I decided to check these movies out. I know these characters appeared in other movies and I am very picky about watching movies in order.

I was told these are not sequels but would like to know what are all the moivies involved and theor order. I know about clerks and chasing amy and this one.

Were do I start and were do I go from there?

RafaelB

Second Unit
OR-
You could do chronological order:
Mallrats
Clerks
Chasing Amy
Dogma
J&SBSB
:D
Rafael

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Is he done with making movies, since that is what I have been hearing. What internet sites have Mallrats at a resonable price, 21 or under. Is there a box set in the works or do I have to buy them all seperatly.

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
No, he's not done making movies. He just won't do any more films in the Jersey "Trilogy" i.e. no more films with the characters from the previous movies.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose, in some way, you could consider Mallrats a 'prequel', but there's no real driving need to watch it first. If you pay close attention to the dialogue, it's established that Mallrats takes place the day before Clerks does (the key event to date the two movies is Julie's untimely demise while swimming).

I'd say go ahead and watch Clerks first, though. It's a better introduction to the characters and Smith's approach as a whole, and his filmmaking style definitely grows from film to film.

Cary T

Screenwriter
With Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back today my Kevin Smith collection is complete, yay!

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I finally picked up Clerks: Uncensored along with my copy of Jay and Silent Bob. Intentionally waited for a price-drop...no way could I justify the $24.99 it used to be.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm doing the same waiting game for mallrats but it has been at $30 forever so far.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
While it doesn't exactly fit into the continuity, the "Clerks" cartoon aired between the releases of "Dogma" and "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". So, the correct viewing order would be:

Clerks

Mallrats

Chasing Amy

Dogma

Clerks: Uncensored (Optional)

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

While "Mallrats" takes place on Friday and Clerks the following Saturday, there's really no reason to watch "Mallrats" before "Clerks", much like "Raiders Of the Lost Ark" and "Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom". As a matter of fact, Kevin Smith likened the prequel situation of "Clerks" and "Mallrats" to "Raiders" and "Temple" in the introduction of the "Mallrats" script book.

Sarah S

Second Unit
You can pick up Mallrats & Clerks:Uncensord through Columbia House as part of an initial enrollment package (if you are into the CH thing).

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
If nobody else will mention this, Best Buy now has Chasing Amy: Criterion Collection for 15 bucks. Considering that it's a Criterion disc AND its a loaded special edition, I'd get that first before the sale goes away.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Do yourself a favor: watch Clerks and then quit while you're ahead.
Yeah that way you can miss out on all the horrible Jason Lee stuff (rolling eyes).

IMHO, Chasing Amy is the best "movie" of the group-- most cohesive story and not just an excuse for one liners as some of the other tend to be. All are certainly worth watching.

"What's a nubian?"

-V

PS: Just for perspective, USer rating on Kev's movies on IMBD rate them as:

7.9/10 Clerks

7.6/10 Amy

7.6/10 Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

7.5/10 Dogma

7.0/10 Mallrats (although the commentary is funnier than the film)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
To get REALLY complete, you can do it this way:

1. Clerks (1994)
  2. Mallrats (1995)
  3. Drawing Flies (produced but not directed; 1996)
  4. Chasing Amy (1997)
  5. Dogma (1999)
  6. Scream 3 (cameo; 2000)
  7. Clerks Unlimited: The Animated Series (2000)
  8. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)
  9. Clerks: Sellout (coming in 2002)[/list=1]

1. :D

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
To get REALLY complete, you can do it this way: To get REALLY complete, you can do it this way:
There's also other stuff, like "A Better Place", which features an appearance by #812 Wynarski from "Clerks". Silent Bob appears in "Drawing Flies" (which was already listed). There was also a series of MTV commercials featuring Jay and Bob, which will probably end up on the 9th Anniversary Clerks disc. There are many other projects that Kevin Smith has been involved with, and I'm not going to list them all here, but if you want every on-screen portrayal of an Askewniverse character, you'd better check out "Clerks", "Mallrats", "Chasing Amy", "Dogma", "Clerks Uncensored", "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", "Scream 3", "Drawing Flies" and "A Better Place". Finally, Dante and Randal will appear on the Tonight Show tomorrow night in a short film (a first for the Tonight Show) written and directed by Kevin Smith calle "The Flying Car". Having seen pictures of the short on newsaskew.com there's no doubt that the characters are indeed Dante and Randal and not just Brian O'Halloran and Jeff Anderson playing different characters. Hopefully, this will wind up on the 9th anniversary disc as well.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I was waiting for price drops across the board myself. Picked up Clerks ($15), Clerks: Uncensored ($15), Dogma (especially special super duper deluxe edition, $23), and Jay and Bob ($18) tonight at Best Buy. The extra $5 off makes the bundle a steal.

They were out of Chasing Amy, but Circuit City had it for $16, so I just got it there instead. Now all I need is overpriced Mallrats.

Todd_Peter

Auditioning
I don't know if anyone mentioned this also... Locally in Canada here they just released the New Jersey Trilogy today. Clerk: Collector's Series, Mallrats: Collector's Edition, & Chasing Amy: Criterion. It's not a box set just a shrinkwrapped 3 pack. I picked it up for $49.99 CAD or about 31 bucks USD!

I'm pretty sure it's only available in Canada as a 3 pack. I bought the set @ Futureshop and also saw the set at A & B Sound. It's listed as The New Jersey Trilogy on both their web sites aswell. Futureshop.ca and Absound.ca respectively.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Whats coing first? If you read Link Removed Kevin just finished writing "Jersey Girl". I have not heard about any filming on a new Clerks film. And anyway after "Jersey Girl" shouldn't he start the Fletch series again. If you look at Jason Lee's Bio on the J&SBSB dvd "Fletch Won" is listed on his bio for 2003.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks