What's new

Kevin Brownlow's HOLLYWOOD and UNKNOWN CHAPLIN coming to DVD! (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Back to the original idea of this thread on documentary series about Hollywood history: I'm surprised no one's even mentioned the syndicated 1976-82 series That's Hollywood! which was narrated by Tom Bosley and featured many a classic film clip (with emphasis on material from Fox, which produced the show!). This show, along with the Brownlow documentary really started my interest in Hollywood history. Does anyone else remember That's Hollywood!?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

I remember THAT'S HOLLYWOOD very well. The episodes were WAY too short to be as substantial as they should have been, but the show was wonderful.
It was reminiscent of a more modern HOLLYWOOD AND THE STARS, largely because Jack Haley, Jr. did both of them. There was only one season of the show in 1976, part of Jack Haley's move to Fox from MGM after the mega-success of THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT in theaters. Then, the 2nd season was done several years later so that they had more episodes for syndication.

The reason we don't see the show anymore, and probably never will again, is likely due to the clip licensing situation. Although each THAT'S HOLLYWOOD episode was drenched in Fox clips, and shows were built around themes where the Fox library had strength, they did license clips from UA often, and I believe there may have been some Columbia clips, too. Those licenses now have surely expired and would cost a fortune to renew.

I am fortunate to have taped many of them off the air during the "return" season made up of old '76-'77 shows, and new ones as well. They are fun to watch.

Interestingly, many of those shows, ended up being recycled by those cheapjack documentaries that FOX's little unit was making for A&E and AMC. I believe they no longer are in operation. But those more recent pieces lifted ideas and even narration right out of the Haley THAT'S HOLLYWOOD shows!

Meanwhile, to get back on topic, the world is waiting for the return on video for Messrs. Brownlow and Gill's magnificent HOLLYWOOD mini-series.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Any updates on this title?

I searched my local library system and found that I can rent the VHS tapes through them. So, I'm going to start watching them later this week, and figured that will most likely trigger the release of these on DVD.

I broke down and bought the Keaton documentary on Laserdisc, but this title is out of my price range whenever it shows up on Ebay.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Hi-

I've read this thread with interest, and want to know if anyone knows of someplace I can purchase the comp[lete Hollywood set on VHS?

Though obviously not my medium of choice, since it's not on DVD I'd like to get my hands on it somehow-

If anyone wants to unload their tapes, or can point me in a general direction, I would appreciate it-

Thanks-
Jack

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I continue to look for this set... A laserdisc set just sold for 307.00 on Ebay. I would love to own it, but the price is just too steep. Any more movement on a DVD release?

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
For some reason, my recent question about this has disappeared, so I'll try here. Does anyone have any
information on when (or whether!) CECIL B. DEMILLE: AMERICAN EPIC will be released on DVD and/or
Blu-Ray? I recently purchased the soundtrack CD, which is great, but what about the series itself. Anything?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I found a seller who had DVDs made off the laserdiscs. I ordered a set. Good quality.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I guess this thread hasn't aged well. Though, the Jackie Coogan interview for The Kid is on Criterion's release in remastered form.

Someone gifted me the same laserdisc dubs. Very nice quality, but with baked-in PAL-to-NTSC ghosting. Just for fun, I started to reconstruct the first episode from higher quality sources like Blu-ray or at least DVD.

It would be wonderful if Freemantle saw the value in upgrading the show to HD, especially for TV and streaming sales. And a large percentage of clips could be sourced from available masters.

Last edited:

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
One thing I remember most from That's Hollywood! was that in one episode they actually showed a clip of Tyrone Power in the last scene he ever filmed- a swordfight with George Sanders in "Solomon and Sheba". Right after that take he collapsed on the set from a fatal heart attack. So apparently at least some of the footage he made still exists. That film was 2/3 complete when he died, and United Artists used the insurance payout to replace him with Yul Brynner in the released film. If that film makes it to DVD/Blu-ray, let's hope the Power footage can be included as an extra. He is actually in the finished film in long shots!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
One thing I remember most from That's Hollywood! was that in one episode they actually showed a clip of Tyrone Power in the last scene he ever filmed- a swordfight with George Sanders in "Solomon and Sheba". Right after that take he collapsed on the set from a fatal heart attack. So apparently at least some of the footage he made still exists. That film was 2/3 complete when he died, and United Artists used the insurance payout to replace him with Yul Brynner in the released film. If that film makes it to DVD/Blu-ray, let's hope the Power footage can be included as an extra. He is actually in the finished film in long shots!

Different series/doc. This one is about the American silent era.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
My local Library has the Hollywood, A Celebration series on vhs and I do check it out sometimes. To my knowledge it has never been released officially on dvd. There is the laserdisc box set and I do have a laserdisc player but not going to pay over $200 on Ebay!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Photoplay Productions actually posted a link to YouTube uploads of the laserdisc rips on Facebook, so they're sympathetic to the unavailability problem.

I'm optimistic because I never thought something like Los Angeles Plays Itself would ever get an official release, let alone a complete reconstruction in HD released on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks