1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Ketchup - Fancy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will K, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Unless I missed some information in Condiments 101, what's the difference between regular ketchup and "fancy" ketchup? Last time I checked, the fancy variety wasn't exclusively for upper-class consumers. Perhaps the fancy has slipped through the cracks and those of us who patron common fast-food joints are getting a real treat with the this stuff and don't even know it.

People often utter phrases like "Wow, that's a fancy 16x9 TV" or "Those are some fancy wheels you have." However, friends who come over for cookouts never seem to be particularly impressed that I stock fancy ketchup. I've even tried to get them to notice by holding the bottle at a higher level as speak to them, but to no avail. Perhaps they buy fancy ketchup, too.

Proper serving is another issue. Perhaps fancy ketchup needs to be delicately spooned from a serving bowl. Otherwise, it may be considered vulgar to squirt it from a plastic bottle, no? Don't even speak of those ghastly purple and green versions! They might be fancy to your average Sponge Bob Square Pants enthusiasts, but not to discriminating condiment connoisseurs.

Another thing I don't understand. If "fancy" is an adjective, how can you tickle it?

2. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Ketchup in any form isn't 'fancy'.
    To be truly special, ketchup needs other ingredients such as fermented fish juice and tons and tons of products based on that wonderul genus Capsicum. There's a bunch of other stuff too, but if I told you I'd have to shoot you.
    Without these additions ketchup is just squished tomatoes.
    [​IMG]

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Now ..... can we debate just WHICH fancy ketchup (or "Catsup") tickles your fancy (or burgers) best? [​IMG]
    We have these garden variety variants..........
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And then we have the elite highbrow ketchup models (all must be served while dining at a table NO LESS than 16 feet long!) (Now maybe THESE really are "fancy"!) [​IMG] .........
    http://www.ketchupworld.com/riclusket.html

4. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

If I remember from my restaurant days (believe me I've tried to forget)....there is an ingrediant (maybe the corn syrup?) that constitutes the "fancy" status. It always made me laugh. Fancy....dress that ketchup up!

5. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

I think the difference is the word "fancy".

6. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

[​IMG] That and the black tie.

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

From my taste testing, the "fancy" is definitely different. I can't make up my mind whether it's more vinegar or more sugar, but if you compare the packets with your Heinz at home, it is different.

Todd

8. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I see Del Monte is finally making ketchup (they only made Catsup when I was a kid). Anyone try the new flavored ketchup's (I think I saw mesquite and garlic on the shelf at my local store).

9. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

10. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I did an extensive search on this and all I could find was that "fancy" is not an official FDA designation, but relates to the amount of tomato solids used in the ketchup:
    FANCY
    STANDARD
    The ingredients are the same. Fancy contains 33% solids and the Standard contains 25% solids.
    Note that this is for California Fruit Packing Company and may not apply to all manufacturers.

11. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Come on, now! How many of us have watched some low-class doofus cover his New York Strip or 16-ounce T-Bone with a half-pound of ketchup when it arrives, then say to your dining partner, "Now THAT'S fancy!"?

12. ChrisMatson

True story:
    I went out for a nice New Year's Eve dinner with some friends several years ago. Two of the guests ordered Filet Mignon--well done. They dunked the burnt meat in ketchup. I was horrified...

13. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

14. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I've tried the "fancy" ketchup and regular ketchup, and like regular ole Heinz the best. The "fancy" stuff is too watery to me.

15. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Well, Todd, my point was not whether ketchup is a high-class condiment or not, just to clarify. My point was that it is considered bad etiquette to cover your food, especially grilled steaks, with any condiments before tasting it. It's an insult to the chef.

16. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I confess that I used to use ketchup as a dipping sauce for my steak (since I usually eat fries with steak at home) but switched to Heinz 57 (I hate A-1 or that English crap) when I got older. Considering that my Mom always gave me the boney and gristly end of a round steak when I was a kid (plus she used to trim the fat of her steak and put it on my plate).

Now that I am an adult I only eat thick NY Strips or Porterhouse steaks which if cooked properly requiure no dipping sauces (though I still like a little 57 in the juice).

Great...now I have to go buy a steak!

17. ChrisMatson

I can understand dipping a bad cut of meat in ketchup, but a perfectly good Filet?! Why not just ask for a hamburger?

On a side note, when I was about 12 years old, my grandmother served a Thanksgiving turkey that was so dry, we had to butter it to get it down!

18. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

You know what? I'll probably go to my grave remembering that the standard/fancy ratio is built on 25/33%. [​IMG]

19. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

A1 kicks ass. I can't eat a burger anymore unless it's covered in A1. Ketchup is designated for french fries and maybe onion rings on certain days.

20. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian