Kenwood worth repairing?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by CraigC, May 5, 2004.

1. CraigC

CraigC Auditioning

I have a Kenwood VR-2080 Surround Receiver that recently started having extrememely low outputs of sound and some of the inputs quit working. I took it to the repair guy and he told me one of the boards went bad and it would run about 150-200$ dollars. The receiver was very high dollar when I bought it a few years ago and sounds really good especially compared to the Yamaha R-V503 I am using now. My question is would it be worth it to put the money into fixing this receiver or would I be better off putting the money into a barnd new receiver? Any input would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Craig

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Not sure how much this has to do with construction and interiors, but how “high dollar” is it? Does it have all the features you currently need, or are you looking for an excuse to trade up?

I have an older Yamaha flagship model that listed for $2400 when it was new. I thought it was worthwhile to spend $170 for a repair a couple of years ago, given that it was still serving my needs and the cost of the repair was dirt cheap compared to replacing it with something comparable.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt