Kenwood vrs-7100 high sub crossover point?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brian Herold, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Brian Herold

Brian Herold Extra

Has anyone here used the slimline Kenwood vrs-7100? Im going to be picking up a set of fluance av-htb (or the sx's not sure) and a sub, and I'm wondering if the 7100 is stuck with a high crossover point (100 Hz) like the other popular digital amp, the Panasonic SA-XR50.

From fluance's site it looks like the frequency response on the av-htb's would be better represented if I allowed down to around 80Hz for everything and sent anything sub 80 to the subwoofer.

Just looking for a receiver reccomendation since I'm sort of a newb; oh, and it doesnt have to be either of the receivers i've mentioned so far, this is just the point im at in researching everything atm.

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Brian,

what's the budget you're working with?

If i'm not mistaken, the fixed 100Hz crossover is the same on probably 90% of all entry-level to midrange AV receivers (around the prices you're talking about for XR50 and the vrs-7100).

YMMV, but the 100Hz xover works fine for me (bookshelves+sub); after all, it isnt a brick wall at 100Hz, the FR rolls off gradually.

3. Brian Herold

Brian Herold Extra

I'm not really sure - I mean, I dont think spending an inordinate amount on a receiver thats only pushing relatively average speakers would be a wise decision; but then again I guess theres always the standpoint that I would upgrade eventually. Maybe like 300-400ish? Although, If I dont have to spend that much to get something good, that would be great [​IMG]

4. Brian Herold

Brian Herold Extra

Just had someone recommend the Pioneer vsx-d814k to me, although I think Id end up going with the 912K (auto calibration), anyone had any experience with this?

EDIT: nevermind, same 100Hz crossover limitation - still viable option though...

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Judging by some threads here and elsewhere (over at Audioasylum and AVSforum, for exampel) the cheap XR25/XR50 are great for the $ - it's cheap enough for me to want to try one for the heck of it except that shipping here would cost almost half as much as the receiver.

by tomorrow you'll probably have a list of 5 different manufacturers to check out but hey.. auditioning is part of the fun [​IMG]

6. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

I have the kenwood VRS-7100. Someone over at avsforum tested its crossover point and said it was 80hz. I just set my svs subs crossover all the way up just incase and let the receiver handle the crossover.

7. Brian Herold

Brian Herold Extra

I think im split between the vrs-7100 and the yamaha htr-5760. Obviously going to spend more on the yammie, but I think its probably the better route to go...