Kenwood VR6070

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clyde Metz, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Clyde Metz

Clyde Metz Agent

I have played around with set up for a month now and still don’t think it’s right. Can any one help?
    I have a Hitachi 53SDX20BB high definition TV, Magnavox MDV450 DVD player, and Kenwood VR6070 receiver and am hooked up to HD cable. The receiver has two component video inputs; one labeled DVD and the other labeled video 3. All the inputs for the receiver are: DVD/6CH, CD/DVD, PHONO, TUNER, VIDEO 1, VIDEO 2, VIDEO 3, MD/TAPE, AV AUX. The TV has two component inputs labeled 4 and 5.
    The receiver has optical inputs labeled: Optical CD/DVD, Optical Video 3. The receiver also has two coaxial inputs labeled: Video 2, and DVD/6CH.
    Now to connect. I connected the DVD to the Receiver’s Component DVD and the Optical from the DVD to the receiver Optical CD/DVD. So far so good. The receiver’s component Monitor Out is connected to the TV Component input 4 or 5 (I don’t think it matters.) The only component input left on the receiver is Video 3 which I connect to the cable box. Now a problem. The cable box does not have an optical out, only a coaxial out which I connect to the receiver Coaxial Video 2. So to get a picture I have to be on Video 3 and audio is on Video 2.
    Please show me where I went wrong! Thanks.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Why not connect the DVD player's component outputs and the cable box's RF output directly to the Hitachi? That's the best method anyway.

3. Clyde Metz

Clyde Metz Agent

Well I have. But I though the best way (better a/v) was to run everything through the receiver and switching was easier through the receiver. Not so?

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Clyde

I have a Kenwood VR6070 also.

I think what Jack Briggs is saying is that the fewer components the video signal has to go through, the better. Having said that, there are a lot of people who want to run all their video through their receiver so switching is more convenient.

However, the video bandwith on the 6070 is only 10 Mzgh. This may be enough for standard definition sources, but is no where near enough for HD sources. I am not an expert on bandwith so I can't comment on your banwith needs, but someone on this forum will give you additional information that should be helpful in your decision making.

Hope this helps a little.

Artie