Kenwood VR507/9 and Panasonic RV31K/RP51?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Quincy, Dec 7, 2001.

1. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

I need some help narrowing down the choices here. On the recommendations of other I have been checking out the following equipment, but I am unable to decide which to get. Here is what I am looking at:
    Reciever
    Kenwood VR507
    Kenwood VR509
    DVD Player
    Panasonic RV31K
    Panasonic DP56
    Considerations:
    Currently I have a Panasonic VCR and a Magnavox 25" TV (just coax for input - I use it for cable TV). What I need to know is what would be the best combination of the above equipment. I do know that I might be getting a HDTV in a few years, so the progressive scan is nice, but not an absolute necessity. I will also be getting JBL NSP-1 Speakers and the Sony SA-WM40 sub. Any help would be appreciated.
    Side note:
    1. What connections should I use to hook up the DVD player to the receiver - coax/component/other?
    2. Can I hook the VCR into the Receiver?
    3. Which device do I hook my cable TV into? Receiver or VCR like I do now?
    Thanks,
    John

2. Alan K

Alan K Agent

A couple of problems-

What sort of receiver do you have, what kind of processors does it have(pro-logic, DD, DTS), does it have digital inputs, what kind (coaxial, optical), does it have in/outputs for video, what kinds?

Another problem-In order to connect a dvd player to a tv with only a cable connection you'll need a converter called an RF modulator, about thirty bucks. Don't try to route it through the VCR, the copywrite protection will kick in, even if not recording.

With your current setup, you'll continue to connect the VCR the way you are now, in line with the cable. Instead of cable->VCR->TV, it will be cable->VCR-> RF Modulator->TV and of course you will also have the dvd connected to the RF Modulator.

I know that the Panny RV-31K is good bang for the buck, but don't know much about the others to be able to compare.

Good luck, keep us updated.

3. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Alan,

My initial setup is this:

25" Magnavox

Panasonic VCR

Nothing else. I have no receiver, no DVD, no speakers.

What I need to know is which Receiver/DVD combo people would go with and which would connect to what and with what cables.

Thanks,

John

4. Alan K

Alan K Agent

Let's see-

DVD player-for something basic I'd go with Sony, Panasonic or Pioneer. I've got the Sony, I like it. A couple of friends have had theirs for two or three years and have operated just fine. People at this forum do like Panasonic but I think many people have underdog syndrome and fight Sony, even if they have a good product. Those I know in the DVD industry (authoring, etc.) always recommend Sony.

Receiver-a receiver has few moving parts, so it will be around for a while, I wouldn't skimp too much. For entry level, Sony isn't terrible (they do sell a DD & DTS receiver that often sells for about 180), but they don't sound great and all the new models from $200-700 lack A-B speaker switching ability. I'd go for a Yamaha, they start at $300 and have a lower THD than most anything else at that price.

Connecting-You'll need a few composite cables (commonly called RCA cables). Also one optical cable and probably a coaxial video cable connect the RF modulator. There are diagrams available online at bestbuy.com but I'll run through it quickly. Keep in mind video will only go to the TV (along with audio) and the receiver will only receive audio.

VCR-the same way you have it now (through the before mentioned RF modulator to the TV. Use RCA outputs U]audio[/u] (red and white)to go to the reciever, VCR input.

DVD-RCA go to the RF modulator (red, white and yellow), which goes to the TV. Optical cable goes to the receiver. That will give you surround-DD, DTS.

To give yourself an idea of what will go into the receiver, go to Yamaha's website, they post pictures of the backs of their receivers.

Good Luck

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I'd go with the Kenwood 509 ,Panasonic DVD player, JBL NSP-1 and try to come up with a little more cash for a JBL PB-12 subwoofer...

And oh yes you will want to get a new TV capable of accepting AT LEAST S-VIDEO!

Or for temporary you can use an RF adaptor so you can use your TV's coax input.