Kenwood VR-6070

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dah-Dee, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

I've seen some good reviews of this THX-certified receiver; only question I have is whether the component video bandwidth is sufficient for HD sources (see review site below - 10mhz???). The Best Buy web site shows this model at $569.99, but I could've sworn I just saw this at Best Buy B&M yesterday for $449.99; can anybody confirm whether this is correct? I also saw a customer review (here: http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_135050_2718crx.aspx ) where a guy bought one at Best Buy and was told there is currently a $100 manufacturer's rebate on this model. Combined with the 10% off preferred customer weekend coupon, this could be a hot deal ($305 AR, if it's really $450 to begin with).

Edit: Looks like the bandwidth may really be an issue with HD on the 6070:
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htst...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

John

I have the 6070 but I don't run video through it, so 10Mhz is not an issue for me. I have read a number of posts on the 6070 saying 10 is simply too low.

If HD video switching is important to you, look elsewhere.

In virtually every other respect it is a fine receiver.

Artie

3. Andy_SB

Andy_SB Agent

No, 10 mhz is not adequate for HD switching. However, this is one of very few weaknesses in this receiver IMO. I know if you really need component switching this could be a deal-breaker, but if you can use direct connections or have another workaround it's otherwise a great piece.

BTW, I have never seen a rebate advertised for the 6070.

4. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

Right, no HD video switching, and no on-screen display. I bought one a week and a half ago for $398 from 6ave (who are out of stock now). A couple of other issues, perhaps minor. Using the remote volume control leaves the remote in receiver mode, so to continue to control an input device, you have to press an extra button to return the remote to the appropriate mode. And secondly, the automatic detection of input modes just does not work that well for digital signals, since sometimes when the signal changes (as when changing channels on digital cable), the receiver doesn't put itself into the the right mode (e.g. PL2 for DD 2.0), and you have to push some extra buttons.