Kenwood VR-6070 Questions re: rear channel

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bobby S, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Bobby S

Bobby S Extra

Just got the Kenwood VR-6070 receiver. It's terrific with all kinds of bells and whistles, but here's a question regarding the addition of a rear center channel. In the manual there are several views of typical speaker placement depending on the sound format and in most of them it clearly depicts 2 rear-center speakers. Also shows this on the receiver's front display. However, there is only 1 hook-up connection on the back of the unit for the rear channel. So my question is- do I have to use 1 regular center-channel speaker in the rear, or is there a way of hooking up 2 separate bookshelf speakers? Even a phone call to Kenwood did not help much as they claim that the unit is only supposed to take 1 center rear speaker, despite that fact that there own literature shows differently. The display on the unit shows one front center channel as a solid one-piece speaker, while the rear centers are displayed as 2 separate speakers. And if I hook-up just the 1 center channel will I be missing anything that I would get with 2 separate speakers. I eed to know because I haven't bought the rear speakere yet, so I'd hate to buy 2 bookshelf speakers if only one's going to accept the signal. There is a hook-up option for a 2nd room 2-front speakers, and Kenwood mentioned that I could use these, but it seems to me that if the receiver will out-put a regular front channel signal to these, meaning I would probably be getting dialogue from behind my head. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks. Bob

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Bob, you can hook up two speakers to the rear center post on the receiver - wired in series should not have any problems (or even wired in parallel if you're not driving the amp way too hard. This depends on how powerful the receiver's amps are, what the sensitivity and ohm ratings are on the speakers, how big your room is, at what volume level you listen, etc.).

But whether or not it is one speaker or two, it'll be the same mono signal from the back. So, in reality, you're not missing anything with just one speaker. The reason people use two is because one speaker can sometimes create a phantom front image where the sounds from the rear appear to be coming from in front of you. Dolby Labs suggests two rear speakers space no less than 4ft apart in order to create a more enveloping rear sound. Also, some people, such as myself had to go with 2 speakers due to room constraints (such as a window or door right in the middle of the back wall).

good luck,

--tom