Kenwood VR-6070 or Pioneer VSX-D912?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Greg Herzig, May 17, 2003.

1. Greg Herzig

Greg Herzig Auditioning

Just trying to decide between the two. Any recommendations?

Thanks fellas..

2. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

kenwood has a lower thd, thx select certification, but doesnt support true high definition if you were to run you video cables through it.

the pioneer, has a higher thd 1.0 %, auto mcacc calibration, but not the equalizer part, and dual rear posts for the back center.

the 6070 is pretty tough to find, its like looking for a needle in a haystack. the kenwood 7070 will be released soon which is this years model of the 6070. i think its gonna retail for about 500 bucks.

3. Greg Herzig

Greg Herzig Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Myo. Which one would you go with? I have 7 days to return my 6070 which I got at BB for $327. I can get the 912 for $320 shipped online. I just bought the 812 to try out with my speakers and compare the two. Do you think the sound quality will be much different between the 912 and the 812?

Thanks,

Greg

4. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

the sound quality between the 812 and 912 should be near identical.

i havent heard the 912k in my room, but i would assume that the 6070 sounds a bit cleaner?

i had the 6070 once and i thought it was a bit weak, even though sv magazine rated it at 92 watts. but it was powering my bookshelf speakers odd, i had it for 3 weeks and only played it in stereo before i returned it, my receiver made cracking noise as i raised and lowered the volume.

the kenwood had a nice sound to it though, and ive always thought pioneer receivers sound was a bit on the raw side,a t least with their entry level models. since you have both keep what sounds better to you, in all sincerity i think the 812 and 912 should sound pretty much the same, aside from the extra 10 watts and auto mcacc function. the extra 10 watts is negligiable.

5. Greg Herzig

Greg Herzig Auditioning

I'm also considering the Panasonic SAHE200. Would that receiever compare well with these two?

6. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

If you don't mind me butting in, I agree with Myo (whose been picking this stuff up very quickly I might add) that there should be no difference in the two Pioneers. Also, as Myo pointed out, if you are using HDTV the Kenwood's component video switching is less than ideal, although I'm not exactly sure what the impact is not using component video myself. If you don't have HDTV and don't intend to then I wouldn't sweat it though.
    Other than that , if I were you, I would be inclined to stick with the Kenwood. You are not going to get appreciable better performance from the Pioneer or Panasonic , and probably not even as good.

7. Greg Herzig

Greg Herzig Auditioning

I do have a RPHDTV. I am running my component cables from my DVD straight to my TV, with my optical inputs going to from the DVD to the receiver.

Thanks for the input fellas. Anybody else?

8. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

hey thanks for compliments rob, no hard feelings in our previous post [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

the whole kenwood hd compatibilty thing shouldnt be a problem, why are you running your video cables through the audio receiver anyway [​IMG] its best to just run the video cables directly to the television, problem solved
    --
    regarding panasonic, i was actually looking into that one, and did a fair amount of research on it, it has a cool look, one of the spiffiest receiver "if not most clean looking" receiver below the 500 dollar range.

it seems to do well for movies, but not too well for music, some people complained about it getting too hot, and i wouldnt be surprised because the air vents on top are super small. it has a built in fan, but i dont know how loud it is, according to some internet reviews, the panny heats up a lot, and the fan doesnt ever really come on. and i think the bass and treble controls are very limited, that was one of the big complaints about it, if my memory serves me correctly. that would make for a "not so good music" receiver.

but pretty good entry movie receiver, it comes with a free back center speaker and rush hour 2 dvd to boot [​IMG], heh, its the only receiver ive seen that came with a speaker and dvd bundle. i gotta give panasonic kudos for trying [​IMG]

9. Jason Bosch

Jason Bosch Agent

Just to give you another opinion I just picked up the Kenwood 6070 from Circuit City a couple days ago. I started with a Harman Kardon AVR-525 which sounded pretty good but it's digital switching delay issue bugged me so I took it back. Then I picked up a Yamaha RX-V1300. I truely loved that reciever. It had absolutly no switching delay and sounded fantastic until you really cranked it beyond reference level. Unfortunantly I had an old bill come up that I needed to take care of immediatly so I had to return the Yamaha. I went about a month with no reciever whats so ever. Then I was walking through Circuit City and happed upon the 6070 for $250. I thought it was a very good price for it. They were out of new in box units so I had them see if they could give me a good price on the display model which was never hooked up. Got it for $199.99 and got the 3 year warranty and was still under $250 with tax. Pretty good deal to me. So anyway I hooked it up to my Energy Connoissuer speakers and proceeded to calibrate it. Kinda tricky with no manuel but I found it and printed it from the Kenwood site. Got all the levels right and then checked out LOTR Extended Edition. Sounded very good to me, but it has a worse digital switching problem that the Harman. I figure though at $250 I don't really need to complain very much about that... It'll suffice for a while until something new and better comes out than what I've already tried or I may just move to seperates. The Balrog scene sounded pretty dynamic and convincing... not quit as good as the Yamaha but very acceptable. I also checked out Star Wars Episode 2 and the Asteroid Chase scene. This one also sounded good, but in comparison I thought the surround channels sounded a little weak in comparison to the Yamaha. Might just be me though. Overall however I'm very pleased with it. I love the remote and the Circle Surround format is great for PS2 games and regular TV viewing. Anyways I just wanted to give my opinion on this reciever. For the price I got it at to me it seems like a great bargain.

10. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Myo...no hard feelings here either [​IMG]
    I tend to drink too much beer and occasionally get grouchy!

11. Greg Herzig

Greg Herzig Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I'm happy with the Kenwood, I just want to make sure it's what I want to blow my money on. Sounds like you got a great deal on yours.

It's cool that you mentioned the Yamaha. I've also been looking closely at the Yamaha HTR-5660. It's about $150 more than the Kenwood($499) at BB...not including a $50 rebate BB gift card. It has THD of .07% whereas the Kenwood has a THD of .09%

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...1&cat=3&scat=4

PRODUCT FEATURES
    630 watts total power; 105 watts RMS x 6

Built-in 6.1 channel surround sound decoders for: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS Digital Sound, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, Dolby Pro Logic II Movie, Dolby Pro Logic II Music, Dolby Pro Logic, DTS Neo:6 Music, DTS Neo:6 Cinema

Yamaha exclusive surround modes — Cinema DSP: Entertainment (Game), Music Video, TV Theater, Movie Theater 1 (Spectacle and Sci-Fi), Movie Theater 2 (Adventure and General), Enhanced; HiFi DSP: Concert Hall, Jazz, Rock, Disco, 6-Channel Stereo

Digital AM/FM stereo tuner with station presets and auto FM Station Memory that automatically presets the 40 strongest stations on the FM band

6-4 mixdown function allows you to experience 6-channel surround sound with 4 or 5 speakers, with or without a subwoofer

Silent Cinema mode allows you to enjoy multichannel music or movie surround sound through conventional stereo headphones

Night Listening function, available in all surround modes, emphasizes dialog and minimizes loud sound effects (to avoid disturbing others) while maintaining proper balance and dynamic range

Center graphic equalizer lets you finely tune across all parameters and surround sound modes for the optimal movie sound

Digital ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) is the proprietary name of Yamaha's digital strategy to incorporate the most enhanced and advanced digital engineering and circuitry to create the best-sounding components

Extremely wide frequency range of 10-100,000Hz renders precision digital audio in DVD-Audio and SACD; THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) within a 20-20,000Hz range @ 85W RMS is a mere 0.06% for strong, clean, undistorted sound reproduction

Inputs: front panel aux A/V, including S-video for camera or video game, 4 optical digital, coaxial digital, 5 composite A/V each with S-video, 2 audio, composite video to S-video conversion; outputs: component video, optical digital, audio, subwoofer

Multibrand A/V remote with video source switching

12. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

im not familiar with yamaha receivers, but id like to note:

i went to best buy today and saw they had the kenwood 7070, in stock, which is this years model of the 6070, the thing is its "Silver" i would assume, there is very little change,i wonder if they fixed the hd prob in this receiver.

it retails for a hefty $499.99, the case looks identical to the 6070 but silver, and i have yet to see the back of the receiver. its 100 dollars cheaper then then 6070 it sold for $599.99 when it was first released at BB.

:X after some searching online, i found that the 7070 goes for 358 bucks O.o thats prett darn cheap eh.

13. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

Myo K wrote:

"...why are you running your video cables through the audio receiver anyway its best to just run the video cables directly to the television, problem solved."

Absolutely correct! The shorter the way, the better image.

14. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Mayo, the Components inputs are stiil the same. From what I remember EVERYTHING IS THE SAME except for the color & the new remote & the new remote is not an RF one like the old one.

15. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

that sucks, why would they release a model thats inferior and charge more for it? considering its dated technology, they can cut the price a bit, i dont think changing the case to "silver" justifies are 180 dollar price difference.

pioneer does that a lot, i notice that the 812k and 912k are a lot cheaper then last years models, and not only are they cheaper their actually improved over the previous years models.

16. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

actually, the 812 this year is missing some features of the 811 of last year. The front optical input is missing from the 812. But the 812 does do DTS96/24.

Another good new receiver to look at is the new sony 895(I think thats it). It goes for about 400 at BB and has 100wx6, three optical ins, one coax in(I think), but get this...TWO sets of 5.1 inputs. That alone is a great thing.
    Also, according to crutchfield, the component bandwith on this sucker is a whopping 80Hz, compared to the 28 on the pioneer and 10 on the Kenwood