What's new

Kenwood VR-6060 - Any good? (1 Viewer)

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
After doing my taxes this morning, and hoping the lady at H&R Block didn't screw them up(long story), I'm looking into buying a new receiver to replace my 4 year old Kenwood 1080VR. Found the VR-6060 online for $400. Seems to have everything I need. Any positive/negative feedback on this model? I've never had problems with my current receiver which is why I'm looking into buying another Kenwood. I'd appreciate any help I could get from you guys.
Kenwood model vr-6060
Has the following:
PRODUCT FEATURES
Integrated decoding of Dolby Digital 6.1, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 and DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 surround formats; advanced Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo:6 processing simulate a full surround sound experience from any stereo source
600 watts of total system power (100 watts x 6 @ 8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.09% THD)
Selectable 6th channel of amplification (100 watts) can be used to power a rear center speaker or a subwoofer
8 stereo audio inputs (including 1 dedicated phono input with RIAA equalization for use with a turntable)
5.1-channel analog inputs and a high-performance 5-channel amplifier for DVD-Audio and SACD
Midnight Theater Mode compresses frequency response and boosts dialogue of movies, allowing you to enjoy surround sound without disturbing others
2 component video inputs (1 output), 5 composite video inputs with S-video (1 composite video) output with S-video
1 front-panel A/V input with S-video
5 DSP modes (arena, jazz club, theater, stadium and disco)
24-bit analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog processors for high-fidelity sound
Full digital bass management
Universal learning remote with joystick and LCD display
Once again, thanks for any help guys.
Rudy

Babek

Stunt Coordinator
Hey

Personally, I'd rather not purchase a kenwood or sony. Audio experts around my town have all told me that they think that sony and many other popular brands are the worst made. Nevertheless they'll do the job.
If you're looking for higher sound quality, look at some Onkyo/Integra, Harman Kardon, Denon, and Marantz. I believe you can get great prices for some of the onkyos that have all the features of that kenwood for the same price on yahoo store.

I have the Integra dtr 5.3. Just got it today. I had sold my sony str de1075 to get money for the Integra. One word describes my new receiver. UNBELIEVABLE SOUND!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Rudy

Take a look at the threads by Brian Tho. He has explored the Kenwood extensively. I have the 6070 and the sound quality and build quality are quite good. With the 6060 going for less than $400 and the 6070 going for $450 or less, these are hard to beat. The 6060 has the same power supply as the 6070 and measured 92 watts X 6 with all 6 channels driven simultaneously. That is fine performance. Since you can get the 6070 for $450 from an authorized dealer, the extra features including THX and pre-outs for all channels makes it worth the extra $85 or so, IMHO.

Artie

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Thanks for pointing that out to me, Arthur. I did read his threads and they had some great info. Using Pricegrabber.com I've found the 6060 for $319 and the 6070 for $389. Very tempting considering Circuit City and Crutchfield want $600 for the 6070. Best Buy wants $400 for the 6060. It'll be at least a few weeks before I get either since I have to wait for my rebate to come in. It's going to be a very long wait. Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it.

Rudy

stan mucha

Stunt Coordinator
You also have to consider will kenwood honor your warranty,from buying it from a non authorized dealer.I was considering the kenwood 6070 at the time i bought my denon 1803.what turned me off of the kenwood,was the rear speakers having .7 thd.i thought this was high..just my opinion.

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think you can go wrong with the 6060. Although I do not have mine yet, I will be ordering it next week. I have been through pure hell trying to make this decision. I plan on keeping this receiver at least 5 years.

Andy_SB

Agent
I've been looking at receivers lately also, and I think I have settled on the 6060. Best Buy had it on sale a few weeks ago for $349, so if warranty issues/buying online concern you, you could wait until it goes on sale again.

Another note: in all the research I've done here and on other forums, I have seen overwhelmingly positive comments on the features, sound quality, and build quality from owners of the 6060 and 6070. The only negative comments I've seen are from people who summarily dismiss Kenwood as "oh, that's one of the mass-market brands" or people who have had bad experiences with older Kenwood receivers, not these models.

- Andy

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I'll put my two cents worth in favor of the 6060. I've have had the unit for over six months and have had no problems. The 6060 has enough headroom to play at extremely high volume levels without clipping or distorting (not that I do this very often). As Arthur has commented, the 6060 has plenty of power and this is a very important consideration, along with construction and ergonomics. I really like the remote, which has RF. It is easy to bash products like the Kenwood, but for those of us who are into home theater and have to attend to such things as mortgage payments and other necessities, the 6060 provides excellent performance at a reasonable price.
Hope this helps.

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
What are "active equalization" and "speaker equalization"? The VR-6060/VR-6070 manuals don't explain what these options actually do. I suppose they change the frequency response somehow, but exactly how? Anyone know?

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
I want to thank everyone for replying to this message and helping me decide on what to get. I have decided to get the Kenwood VR-6060. Just waiting for my checks to arrive :) Once again, thanks to everyone who replied.

Users who are viewing this thread