Kenwood VR 510 to the curb

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleRoussel, Apr 20, 2002.

1. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

I was less than enthralled with it, it's not user friendly, and the remote (although really nice) is far too complicated. I've got the HK 320 lined up now, I think that's a step in the right direction, don't the rest of you? [​IMG]

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

H/K is always a good choice to my way of thinking.

3. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

Get another amp? No way dude, I'm still in my bedroom! I've got too much power for it as it is! (I know I know, there's no such thing as enough power, right?) [​IMG]

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I have a Kenwood VR-509 in my bedroom. I have owned many different receivers over the years, both stereo and multi-channel. For the money I invested in the Kenwood, I think it represents a VERY high return for the dollars invested.
    That said, I can understand some of your frustration with your 510. The manual stinks (like nearly all of them do), there is no on-screen display (though not a critical error IMO) and the remote is flat-out unhandy (serious boo boo.) But the VR-5xx series puts out good clean sound and has a more than adequate set of features (including the all to rare ability to assign DPL II Music as a mode to music sources and still assign DPL II Cinema to movie/TV sources.) IMO, if the Kenwoods had better remotes, they would as close to perfection as one might ever get for the little $$$ invested.
    So (with my Kenwood perspective out in the open) I would like to advocate a "Plan B".
    My "Plan B" would be to buy a good quality universal remote to replace the Kenwood version with. This would make daily use much easier, system adjustments simpler and would go a long ways in overcoming your feelings of poor user friendliness (not to mention that this would be much cheaper than a new receiver.) And the added bonus of going this direction is that when your system changes or grows, the remote can too. This web page points to an online dealer for the Home Theater Master MX-500. BlueDo Remotes Take a couple of minutes to read through it's feature list. IMO, this is THE button based remote at this point in time (although HTM will soon be releasing a $500 button based world beater!)
    My bottom line is that I have doubts that moving to the HK320 would really solve your unhappiness. IMO, going with less power (and contrary to what the "high current" HK ads might lead one to think, the 320 is less powerful. For the 510 to be THX rated, it MUST produce it's rated power. This adds up to twice as powerful as the 320 into the FTC standard 8 ohm loads) and still using a much less than perfect remote isn't going to help.
    Just some food for thought...Or another way of looking at your situation???