Kenwood vr-509 vs kenwood vr-507

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sergio Stephano, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Sergio Stephano

Hello all and I have been searching and thinking of buying either of these 2 receivers. Which should i go with? Is the lcd remote and the component video switching worth the extra 65 or so dollars? I only need one component video input and that's on my tv, but i could probabbly use the component switching in the future. Is the remote on the vr-509 a very good remote?

Also im only using this system for movie needs. Should i get the jbl nsp-1's? or are there better speakers for movie needs in the same price range? Thanks for all the input. Any help is appreciated

2. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

Some people have seen both the VR507 and VR509 for the same price($300) at Circuit City. If you have a CC in your area you may want to check this out. If both are the same then get the VR509. I don't think any speaker set can perform as well as the NSP1's in the same price range.

3. Craig Louie

Craig Louie Auditioning

I purchased to VR-509 partially to get the more advanced remote. While I am not fully knowledgable on the "universla" VR-507 remote, I do like the VR-509 remote a fair bit. The learning capabilities of the 509 remote made it worth the extra money for me, as all of the other "universal remotes" that were non learning/non-programmable have never been able to properly control my other components. Last night I figured out how to do the learning/macro stuff on the remote and I am able to control my DVD player, TV, Receiver, and Cable Set top box from this remote only (as opposed to 4!). Only the DVD player used default codes, my TV and Cable box had to be "learned". As well, in order to make it easier to start the whole system up, I've macroed the power up and power down of the system.

As for component switching, I only have one component that uses component video, my DVD player, which goes directly through to the TV. But I assigned some value to the VR-509 for future upgradeability if I get more components in future that use component video.

4. Craig Louie

Craig Louie Auditioning

As for a speaker set, I got the JBL SCS 135 which I am very happy with. I particularly like the powered sub.