Kenwood VR-509 owners, I would like some help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulShady, Dec 24, 2001.

1. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

Hello all, and Happy Holidays! Now, I hope someone can help me have a Merry Christmas! I'm going crazy for 3 days now. My problem.

I have a Kenwood VR 509 receiver, Onkyo DV-S555 DVD, JVC VCR, Hitachi Super Ultravision Television, Cable box, Satellite receiver...i think thats it. (Oh and HTD Level III 6 speaker system.

Now, I "Finally" got the DVD player to work. I hooked up Component Video (CV) cables from the DVD to the receiver, then CV to the TV. I pluged a L & R audio to the DVD surround area in the receiver, and now I watch and Listen to the DVD on VIDEO 2 on my TV.

BUT, I can't watch my VCR (no video). I installed regular AV red/white/yellow, cables from the VCR to Video 1/video 1 in on my receiver, then a S-video from monitor out on my receiver to the Video 1 S-video. But I still have no video. If I switch to Video 1 on the receiver I can HEAR the Tape (Sound/movie) but I get no video. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out! Anyone with a VR-509 care to help, I would appreciate it!

Merry Christmas!

Also, How to I get the sound from a basic cable/TV station to come through my reciever/speakers?

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Hi Paul.

Connect your component video directly to the TV [IF] you only have 1 component source.

Your receiver will not change composite to component. You must use a Hi-Fi VCR(or use the audio out jacks on the TV, if you have them) to obtain surround from "RF only" cable input. From VCR plug the red and white audio jacks to VIDEO 1 on receiver and plug the yellow video jack from VCR directly to the composite in on your TV.

Use a 75 ohm video cable to pass the bitstream from the DVD player to reciever and use DVD/6CH input for this connection.

Please let me know if this helps, I can walk you through it in more detail if need be.

3. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

OK Sean, VCR mode now works! You da man. (And Yes, I have only 1 component hook up in the back of the TV.

Now here's another question!

Since I know you're a Kenwood owner, you probably know what the back looks like on the 509.

I have the screw down speaker connectors where I hooked up the front right, front left, and center speakers. Just to the right I had the push and clip rear right and rear left, and just to the left I have the sub pre out rca plug. NOW, I had to use the CD/DVD 6 channel red and whites to get the DVD sound out, but when I just watched Tomb Raider, I did not hear any sound from the rears. Now maybe this movie didn't have any rear sound, but I find that hard to believe since it is a fairly new movie. I "Think" that since I only hooked up a front left/right to the DVD 6 channel input, I am not getting the FULL surround sound experience with my DVD's. Is there something I did wrong, or something I can do to correct this?

Let me know if we should continue this in email.

Thanks,

Paul

4. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

from what I understood, you're not using a digital connection from your DVD player to your receiver. You should use either an optical or coaxial digital connection between the two. Good luck.

5. Sean Conklin

Yes, use 1 75 ohm video cable(RCA jack) and go from the orange digital coax output on the back of your DVD player and plug into the orange coax input marked DVD on the back of your receiver.Select DVD/6CH, then go to the front of your receiver and push the "input mode" until it reads "D-Auto" and spin up a DVD and you should be in business.

Make sure you go into your DVD players menu and select audio set up and select bitstream "ON" aand dts "ON", you will find options similar to what I have mentioned.

If you do not have an extra video cable, temporarily use the red side of the RCA jack to make the connection.

Note: If your DVD player does not have a digital coax output, and only has optical(Toslink), you will need to connect the optical to the CD/DVD optical port on the back of the receiver. Don't forget to select "D-Auto" with your "input mode" button.

6. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

OK sean and armenk, I use the orange coaxial digital cable between the DVD and receiver, but still keep the component cables connected from the DVD to receiver? Or is this INSTEAD of the component cables? AND do I then keep the component cables connected between the receiver and TV since my TV does not have the coaxial digital?

Sorry if this is basic stuff for you guys, I'm just REAL green to all this.:b

Paul

7. Sean Conklin

It's ok Paul, by component are you referring to the 3 RCA looking video cables? If so connect directly to TV unless you have other component video sources.

Is it possible you are referring to composite video?

Does your TV have Component(3 rca connections), S-Video(4 din plug) composite(1 yellow RCA jack)? These are video connections only, the audio connections are totally separate.

Yes 1 digital coax(orange audio RCA) from DVD player to orange coax input on back of receiver(DVD jack), and that's it for your DVD audio connection, nothing else.

It seems we need to sort your video connections out.

8. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

To sum it up:

Connect from the orange coaxial digital out on the dvd to the coax digital in on the receiver

Connect the red, green, and blue component output from the dvd to the component input on the TV (same colors). If you do not have component input on your TV, use an S-video cable from the S-video out of the DVD to the S-video input of the TV.

9. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

Thanks guys. Yes I do have Component Video connection on my TV, Red, Green, and Blue. I will buy a orange type (75 ohm) coax and connect the DVD to the receiver, and leave the rec. connected to the TV using the component cables.
    Now, what is the best movie/DVD to test out my "surround sound" system? Bass, surrounds, etc....
    [​IMG]
    Sean, the back of my tv has 2 composite connections, 2 S vids to go along with them, and 1 component connection.

10. Sean Conklin

Paul, the cable isn't necessarily orange, the digital coax RCA plugs on the back of your receiver and DVD player are orange. Unless you pick up Radio Shacks Digital Coax cable which IS orange(I do recommend this RS cable, it is well built).

As far as DVD's to check out here is a small list of DVD's with some pretty active sound:

Armageddon

Sleepy Hollow

Moulin Rouge

U-571

Terminator 2 UE

Red Planet

Titan AE

Iron Giant

Dinosaur

Toy Story 1 and 2

The Matrix

Gladiator