Kenwood VR-509 or VR-510?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Johnston, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

How much extra is the VR-510 worth? I know it is THX certified... But really, would you guys pay for 5.1 pre-outs? THX Certifications? (Yes I know they pay to be certified!)10 x 5 channels extra watts?

Really?

I am starting to wonder, if I can get the VR-509 for $299.00 @ circuit city... Then really wouldn't it be better to pocket the $$$$$$ till 7.1 takes off?

Thanks!

Bill

2. Tony Richardson

Bill,

I recently purchased the VR-509 at CC and this is one hell of a unit, in my opinion.I don't care for the sound of THX so the money saved was great.

The remote that comes with the unit is very nice as well. It is RF and IR and is easy to program. The only problem is that is not backlit and the screen on the remote can not be read without a light on in the room.

The sound from the unit is also very, very good. You can hook anything into the back of the unit and program the video and audio inputs however you like. Very usefull!!

I replaced a Pioneer VSX-606S which cost twice as much when it was new four years ago. But the 509 sounds much clearer to my ears and it can switch component, S-video and composite video.

As you can see, I highly recommend the VR-509 and unless you like THX sound, I would save the money and buy a few DVD's instead.

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

4. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

Wow these 509’s& 507’s all of sudden became very popular subject, this has to be the 10th post on Kenwood I’ve read this month.
    I own the 510 because I can get a good discount on all Kenwood products. I personally can’t hear any difference with the THX on, even when listening to THX optimized movies. Not worth it, and you wont miss the extra 10 watts.
    IMO SAVE YOUR MONEY [​IMG]

5. Nick Marsh

Nick Marsh Auditioning

Is the remote for the Kenwood VR510 backlit?

Nick

6. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Yes it is backlit I believe and has an LCD display, and is RF, and can be operated from anywhere in the house.