Kenwood VR-509 / HTB-544 and Pronto

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Mc, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Mike Mc

Mike Mc Auditioning

I was looking at acquiring the newer model Kenwood Home Theater in a Box HTB-544.

However, I understand that this system now comes with the Kenwood VR-509 receiver. Evidently, this system has a remote and works on RF as well as IR. Kenwood's literature seems to be extolling the virtues of RF in such a way that it leads me to believe that maybe the VR-509 itself only works via RF signals and not IR?

My question is this - can I control the VR-509 solely by way of IR? Would I be able to use my Pronto to control the VR-509?

If not I would just go back down to the HTB-504 with a VR-507, but obviously newer would be nicer.

Any help you folks could provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

I have the VR-509. For some reason, I can ONLY get it to work via the IR remote. Do you know that the only differences between the 507 & the 509 are 1) the remote and 2) the 509 has two compontent video inputs?? One is not newer than the other. If you are using a Pronto already and do not have a need for component video inputs, you may be better off buying the 507. However, I don't know if the speakers are different from the 504 to the 544.

PS--Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the RF remote working? I've tried both RF bands. I've even tried CH1 on the remote and CH2 on the receiver and vice versa. Any help would be apreciated!!!

3. Mike Mc

Mike Mc Auditioning

Well, I have to ask this question assuming that everyone will find out I'm not a genius (gasp!) with this stuff, but would the two component inputs allow me to use the receiver as a sort of splitter for high-def and progressive sources?

I've got a Sony KP-53HS10 with only one set of inputs for Highdef / Progressive. Would this allow me to hook up, say an X-Box in progressive mode and a progressive DVD player on the VR-509 and filter them both into Video 5 on my HS10 using the receiver to split between both sources?

4. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

Yes. I don't know how much it degrades the signal. I haven't used the component inputs yet. I am only using the S-Video switching, and I didn't notice amy loss with S-Video.

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

6. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased the HTB-544. First of all, it's a great system and an amazing deal. Second, regarding your questions, you can definitely use the VR-509 remote as just an IR remote. The RF is optional. Also, like the prior poster said, the component video switching on the VR-509 is not really equipped for Progressive Scan or HDTV. I have a Sony HDTV and I wouldn't use the receiver to run my Progressive Scan DVD player through it. I go straight to the TV. The speakers are the same in the 544 as in the 504, so if you can get the 504 for cheaper than the 544, and you don't need the RF remote, you may as well go for the 504.