Kenwood VR-407 crossover frequency

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottHannen, Dec 19, 2001.

1. ScottHannen

ScottHannen Extra

Hi,

I've e-mailed Kenwood twice with no answer. Does anyone happen to know what the crossover frequency is on the VR-407 when the front speakers are set to "normal?" If anyone has anything even more detailed regarding how it handles the other channels that would be great, but I'd be happy just to know what that frequency is.

Thanks,

Scott

ps - My speakers are on the way. JBL N38s, N24s and N-Center. I can't wait!

2. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Scott, The 407's crossover point is 100hz when speakers are set to normal. If you set the speakers to large there is no crossover point, thus all info will be sent to their corresbonding speakers. With speakers set to large, the only info your sub will get is the lfe signal when in Digital mode. Hope this helps.

Rob

3. ScottHannen

ScottHannen Extra

So would I be correct in understanding that with speakers set to "normal," a considerable range of the frequency response of a speaker that can output 45Hz is wasted?

It's ironic that Kenwood would call it "normal" instead of "small" and then set a crossover frequency that assumes your speakers are smaller than normal.

Thanks,

Scott

4. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

Does the same apply to the VR507? Does this mean that with the speakers set to normal, all frequencies below 100hz, go to the sub as well as the LFE?

5. jacek p

jacek p Agent

Hi,

I have VR509 and was curious about the same thing. From what I am hearing (I need to play test tones yet), the crossover is consistent with 100Hz. However, I do not hear any difference between "Normal" and "Large" setting. What is even worse, sub is on with both settings. This is contrary to the info in the manual. I wonder if my receiver is defective.

Does anybody else have this issue with VR50X?

Thanks,

6. ScottHannen

ScottHannen Extra

Does anyone use a VR-407 or similar Kenwood model with larger mains? Do they output much bass? (I guess that's the slope of the crossover?)

I just got permission to order the speakers from my wife, so selling her on a new receiver won't go easy.

Thanks,

Scott

7. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Even with Speakers set to LARGE, when playing DD 5.1 the LFE track will be sent to the subwoofer as well as whichever speakers you have set to LARGE.

100hz is a good universal crossover point both for Large speakers and small speakers alike, the 100hz crossover is not a brick wall, the crossover point is flexible in the respect that it will crossover at 100hz, give or take roughly +/- 12db depending on the material for blending purposes.

Not the best explaination, as I am not that good at explaining things like that.

The 407 will work well with large tower speakers and bass will not be problem.

8. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

9. Jason Wolters

I have the Kenwood VR 507. My manual says the sub will not be used when the mains are set to large. When I have the mains, set to large and do the sub level matching on the Avia DVD, there is NO signal coming out of the sub. It is all going to the mains. The sub shuts off. The problem here is that the mains do not reproduce the really low frequencies (20-30hz) as well as just about any sub. I have verifed this with the sweep test on the Avia DVD. I have large mains and a pretty worthless sub. (Aiwa 8" sub and Pioneer 3 way mains with 12" woofer) I still prefer the normal (small) setting on the receiver. If you set it to large you will lose a lot of the low bass. THe only problem is that the sub may struggle with some of what is asked of it unless it is a good one. [​IMG] It is easy to switch back to Large though if you get into this problem. [​IMG]

10. Sean Conklin

Vin: Thank you for correcting me, so if the sub is set to ON and the mains set to LARGE the LFE track is sent solely to the sub?

11. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Yup, the only time the LFE will be routed to the mains is when the sub is set to OFF.

Vin

12. Sean Conklin

That's right, I knew that!:b

13. jacek p

jacek p Agent

This is to follow up on my previous post. I have discovered that if you have VR509 (and possibly any VR50X) and use Cinema EQ, bass goes to sub with mains set to either large or normal. So, my receiver was not defective after all. I like the effect. Anybody else using Cinema EQ on? I wish I knew what else it did (nothing in the manual).

Thanks,

14. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

Kenwoods website says:
    Cinema EQ: Enhances bass response for films and smoothes the blend between front speakers and subwoofer.

15. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

My VR-510 has "subwoofer re-mix" (to add the sub in even when speakers are set to large)
    I would have thought this feature would be available for all VR-5XX series? I have not tried it yet, I still have every thing set Small/Normal this what the manual says that the THX recommended setting is. (THX Shmee-H-X)
    Im using Polk RT-800s which will go below 100HZ but i think its better to the have the sub do most of the work then have my receiver work harder, reproducing lower frequencies which also robs power from the power supply which could add distortion not to mention unwanted heat stress on the receiver (this why I GUESS that THX recommended the Small/Normal configuration?) IMO.
    [​IMG]

16. Jason Wolters

I also have the VR 509. I launched my own investigation into the Cinema EQ mode. I haven't turned up much that isn't mentioned here. Basically the mode gives you more bass in the mid range frequencies and smoothes the left center and right mix. You should know that you can't calibrate your sub using the Avia disc as this mode produces bass on both test tones. You should leave the mode off when calibtrating to Dobly standards.

17. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Jason,

The reason you don't get bass output using the AVIA test disk is because the AVIA test disk does NOT have a separate sub output (LFE) bass track for sub output testing.

Guy (AVIA designer) has given specific instructions on how to use his test disk to calibrate your sub and mains. Search here in the forum.

The VE (Video Essentials) test disk does have a separate LFE sub test track.

This is why you don't any output from your Kenwood 509's sub-out port when testing with AVIA and main speakers are set to Large.

BruceD