Kenwood VR-2080 go BOOM! Now what? (long)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Gwon Chang, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Gwon Chang

Gwon Chang Stunt Coordinator

Last night, while watching the "Making of" part of 28 Days Later, my Kenwood VR-2080 made a low bass thud sound and went silent. I thought maybe it was the DVD, but it wasn't. I switched to TV audio, same thing. No sound. Tried listening to an audio CD, no sound. When I turn the volume up, it subtly "thuds" through the -50dB range (listenable range), and only when I reach the -10dB range (VERY LOUD normally) can I hear anything at all.

Surprisingly enough, when talking to my wife, she said just to get a new receiver (!) because we've had the Kenwood repaired MANY times; about 3 times under warranty, and twice out of warranty. I'm not sure what's wrong with it now, but the repair will cost at least $45 (to check it out). I don't know how much the part/s would be and I'm not sure if I want to find out. So, we looked around today (just barely), and didn't see anything too exciting yet. Not even sure what I'm looking for at this point.

Anyway, I have two main questions for the people out there:

First, if I decide to ditch the Kenwood, how do I get rid of it? It'll probably work, but needs some work. Do I sell it? Anyone here want it?

Second, what's a good receiver (I know, use the Search function :b) that will do DD and DTS with decent power? My speakers aren't that great; my front R/L are old ADCs handed down from my dad. The sub and rears are dinky Yamahas that came from an all-in-one HT-in-a-box solution.

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

What is your budget? Min/Max that you want to spend on a new receiver?

3. michael Scott

Hi Gwon
    Boy this sounds like the same problem I had. Had it fixed twice and it still did the samething[​IMG] . Do yourself a favor, buy a new receiver and use the Kenwood for target practice. Bought a Pioneer Elite and never looked back. The new Hometheater receivers have come along way!! Pioneer Elite, Denon, Yamaha, Sony ES are all good. Use your best judgment and trust your ears.

4. Gwon Chang

Gwon Chang Stunt Coordinator

Well, probably between $200-300 or so. I'm not a high-end guy (for now!), and just need something that'll give me some boom-boom. A friend of mine suggested a Sony? I saw some Onkyos for $150 or so that supposedly are pretty good. Pioneer Elite is probably out of my range.

Maybe I'll take the ol' Kenwood and do the David Letterman 10 story drop with it???[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Avoid the lower end sony's. They sound real muddy. Look into the lower end Onkyo, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Dude, that said enough and opened the door for a truck to roll in. Definetly go for a new receiver, now I would try to get an extra 200 ro 300 for a mid-end receiver like a Harman Kardon, or any other model that will sound good as well as have all the bells and whistles the more expensive monsters. I think if you go to pricesearch you can find some cheap prices on these mid-end receivers.

7. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Stay away from H/K....you will have the same problems.