What's new

Kenwood V6070 Opinions (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Anyone have one of these?

They reviewed it in the latest S&V it it looks fairly decent in the review. I Have a Sony 825 Receiverit's worked well, but I'd like to get something that's capable of the newer 6.1 modes and Prologic II.

Anyone have any experience with this receiver?

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I have the kenwood 6060, which is essentially the same as the 6070, except for THX processing and pre outs. I like mine a lot. It has plenty of power and remote works very well.
Hope this helps.

EarlIngalls

Auditioning
I bought mine about 3 weeks ago. Replaced an old Kenwood 2 channel. Love it so far. Still getting used to the multitude of settings.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm. I asked this very same question last weekend, and my post sank like a stone. What's your secret, Dave? :)
Oh well, decided on another unit in the meantime. ...

Pat Patla

Grip
I just replaced an aging Yamaha 992 with a Kenwood 6070. Boy am I happy, the RF remote is just a HUGE bonus. The sound quality is incredible. I will agree with some folks the setup takes a little concentration.....

The only feature I assumed it would have was a sleep timer.... I wanted to hook the B speakers to my bedroom and then have an easy way for the stereo to shut off at night.

I had the ultimate WAF too (which is ALWAYS nice), my wife after listening to some new CDs said "Wow, the speakers sound SO much better!, I didn't know a receiver could do that?" :)

So I got the WAF, better sound, and a slick new unit...

now for the tweaking/learning....
Pat

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The Kenwood 6070 is a winner. THX, 92 watts per channel with all 6 channels driven simultaneously. Sound quality leaves nothing to be desired. Set up does require concentration, but remember this: Kenwood Tech Support is open till 7 PM or 8 PM eastern time.
For $440 delivered from Vann's, an authorized dealer, you can't beat it.
I just wish it had Logic 7 ;)
Artie

Lee M T

Second Unit
One thing I noticed on all of Kenwoods non-Soverign lineup, all of the componenet video inputs/outputs have a miserable 10Mhz bandwidth. Other than that, the Kenwood seems solid. I'm thinking of spending a little extra and getting the entry level Soverign model.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
One thing I noticed on all of Kenwoods non-Soverign lineup, all of the componenet video inputs/outputs have a miserable 10Mhz bandwidth. Other than that, the Kenwood seems solid. I'm thinking of spending a little extra and getting the entry level Soverign model.
That's what drove me to the Onkyo TX600...

Lee M T

Second Unit
That's what drove me to the Onkyo TX600...
Hey Robert, I was strongly looking into this receiver, but have been a little weary with all the talk of little power. What are your thoughts? I'm currently running an old Pioneer rated at 150 watts x 2 (for music) and while I'm sure it doesn't do that much, I'm scared to drop drastically in power output.

Rich_R

Grip
I just returned the Onkyo TX600. Not enough power and hardly any bass management.

I was about to order the Kenwood 6070 until I saw this post. 10Mhz bandwith on component inputs/outputs??? So this is not HDTV compatible???

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
How many people use component switching in a reciever ?
I am thinking of buying kenwood.

GregK

Screenwriter
For a while I was seriously considering upgrading from my older Yamaha RXV-995 to the VR6070, as I could get the 6070 dirt cheap. But after much debating and comparisons, I saved up my cash and went with the Yamaha RX-V2300 at a discounted rate. What were some of the reasons I decided against going with the Kenwood VR6070?
1) Lack of digital input re-assignability on the Kenwood.
2) The Yamaha offers optional on-screen display for composite and S-Video sources, and the component video has a 60Mhz bandwidth, which will serve any future HD sources I may feed through it. On-screen display options also makes set-up and sound mode adjustments or checks a breeze.
3) More video & digital inputs on the Yamaha 2300. (I use 'em all!)
4) Zone 2 and rec outputs on the Yamaha 2300 can be different than what is selected for viewing. (Note that the lower Yamaha RX-V1300 only offers Zone 2 assignability for audio, not video.)
...I certainly won't say it's fair to compare the Yamaha 2300 (SRP $999) to the Kenwood 6070 (SRP $599), but never the less, those were some of the items that were important to me when shopping for an upgrade. Everybody has their own unique list of features they can or cannot live without.
For those who want to pursue further information on the VR-6070 outside of this forum, may I suggest the following:
Kenwood's official website:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2452
Audio Review's various postings on the VR6070:
http://www.audioreview.com/Receivers...x.aspx#Reviews

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
If anyone is currently considering the Kenwood "6070," Best Buy (U.S.-based retailer) has the 6070 listed at $499.99 for the rest of this week. The price was featured in their "after Holidays" circular that was distributed in the newspapers on 12/25/2002.

Jack_V

Grip
I'm comparing a 6070 to a Yamaha 5590 (1300) now, and the Kenwood sounds good to me, it does not have all the features of the Yamaha, but sounds fine.

The Yamaha is $400 CND more!

The Yamaha has a higher sharper sound to my ears, but no more punch.

Both have smaller power supplies compared to a Sony's 4 ES I also looked at.

The audio punch from both is similar, abit lacking compared to my old stereo receiver.

If you want to save I think a on sale 6070 is a good bet.

I just returned from Best Buy with the Kenwood VR-6070. It was onsale for $499. With the $110 worth of Best Buy gift cards I recieved for Christmas it knocked it down to $412 with tax. It does take awhile to set up. But it does everthing I want it to do. Well give it a long listening session as soon as I get home from work. I'll post again after the session.;)

Rich_R

Grip
Hey Frank, I'll be listening when you get yours set up (I also live in your area...Blue Ridge Mountains-on Smith Mountain Lake).

I also just picked up the 6070 at Best Buy (along with Polk Audio speakers from JandR). I'll post my opinions when I get it set up. Thanks for all the info!

Hey Rich,
Yep, been up most of the night, I found my self watching movies that I have seen a dozen times before, as if it was the first time. This unit replaced a old Pioneer DD receiver that I bought with a DVL-700 in '97 or '98. My guess is, its the 32bit processing. I was able to hook everything to it. DVD,Directv, RF demodulator for the LD section of the DVL-700. My next step, is to add the center surrounds for DD-EX and DTS-ES. It's a awesome unit, but it does have a rather lengthy learning curve. I imagine it will take some time to completely set it up. But it is doing all the basics now.
Frank

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
Hey Robert, I was strongly looking into this receiver, but have been a little weary with all the talk of little power. What are your thoughts? I'm currently running an old Pioneer rated at 150 watts x 2 (for music) and while I'm sure it doesn't do that much, I'm scared to drop drastically in power output.
Still haven't hooked it up yet! I'll let you know...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks