Kenwood Sovereign DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Reda, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I just got the new Crutchfield catalog and it makes a mention about the new Kenwood Sovereign DVD players having the Faroudja chip for de-interlacing. I thought I remembered seeing something that said that these chips are really good performers and are void of "the bug." Is this true? I understand they're pretty new, but has anyone heard anything about these new models?
    Here's the one I was looking at:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...13DV5700&o=&a=

2. Jim Brown

Jim Brown Auditioning

Based on what I've read at www.avsforum.com, none of the Kenwood Sovereign DVD players suffer from the chroma bug.
    ---Jim

3. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Thanks Jim!
    By the way, you were one helluva running back back in the day! (I bet you've NEVER heard that before, right?!)

4. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

And still considered the best LaCrosse player of all time! (a little JB trivia)
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

5. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

Ron,
    The new Kenwood Sovereign players (the 5900M and 5700) both use Matsushita (panasonic) mpeg2 decoders, and thus are chroma bug free. The Faroudja chip is pretty much comparable to the Si503 in deinterlacing film-sourced material, while it takes video-sourced deinterlacing to another level with Faroudja's famous DCDi processing.
    Note, Phillips is also soon releasing a new player with the Farouidja chip as well - called the Q50. The Q50 will retail about $500.00 in the U.S.

6. Jim Brown

Jim Brown Auditioning

Oh, yes, I've heard that one. [​IMG]
    Actually, since my first name is actually James, I've heard quite a few other ones as well. Hey, but at least I feel good. [​IMG]
    ---Jim

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I LOVE the 5900M 400 disc machine. I just wish it didn't list for $1,500.
    Parker

8. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Q50 is released i believe already.

9. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

I have a friend in the U.S. (I'm in Canada) who sells and installs VERY HIGH END equipment (Meridian, Krell and the like) and he says that he will probably take on the Kenwood line, if only to be able to sell the Kenwood DVD players with the Faroudja processing.
    He says the Sage/Faroudja processing puts out a phenomenal picture.
    His customers include those in the $250,000 to $1,000,000 Home Theater price range.
    That should give you an idea how good the Kenwood Sovereign DVD players are.
    ... Greg
    [Edited last by GregoriusM on August 30, 2001 at 12:25 AM]

10. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Hi, this is probably a dumb question but, do you have to have an HDTV-capable TV to take advantage of this Faroujda processing? I have a 16x9 TV, but it's not HDTV capable (so progressive scan isn't an improvement for me). Will I get a better picture with these players?

11. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

David,
    Yes, as with any progressive-scan device, including DVD players, you'll need to have at least a 480P input capability. Typically this is found on "HDTV-ready" sets.

12. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info, Jim.

13. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

David P.,
    Yes, you would need an "HDTV ready" TV to use the new Kenwoods in their progressive output mode. However, the two new Kenwoods probably will provide outstanding non-progressive output as well.
    Some people are perhaps forgetting that these new Kenwoods include a 2nd Sage/Faroudja proprietary chip in addition to their great Sage/Faroudja deinterlacer chip (for progressive output). These players also include the Sage/Faroudja FLI2220 video enhancer chip that will probably improve interlaced output also (Unless they have it shut off for interlaced playback.). Many players are now using only the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacer chip (FLI2200), but so far only 3 have annouced use of both chips. Krell had their first ever DVD player one out in August (mortgage your house to buy), and Kenwood has their's out this month. I believe Theater Vision (almost mortgage your house to buy) also announced an "option card" for a new player that includes both Sage/Faroudja chips.
    The 2nd Sage/Faroudja FLI2220 video enhancer chip seems to be including some of the great patented Faroudja technology as is included in the expensive standalone Faroudja video processor boxes.
    Bottom line is - I would consider the new Kenwoods for either progressive use or non-progressive use.
    ------------------
    Phil N.

14. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I have never heard if a 16x9 TV that wasn't HD ready. Is there such a thing?
    Russ

15. Chuck Blair

Chuck Blair Agent

16x9 sets have been around longer than HD. I don't know of any current generation sets that aren't HD ready, but there were some up until a few years ago. 16x9 sets are also much more common outside of the US and I'm sure there must still be some sets being made overseas that aren't HD ready.