What's new

Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900M , or Kenwood DV-6050 (1 Viewer)

I have finally got a satisfactory audio set-up and now want to work on video (and DVD-audio). My idea is to get Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900M, which on paper looks like a great unit. You can get it for around $950, which is the upper limit for my spending. It takes care of my collection of DVDs and CDs for ever. It plays DVD-audio and it has bass managment for multichannel output. Of course do not forget Faroudja technology. On the other hand it seems that nobody is really talking about this machine, so it seems to have flaws ?!?
The safe bet then it would be to get something like Kenwood DV-6050, which carry most of the goodies mentioned above. Well, it is not 400+ changer, but otherwise it seems o.k. and it costs only around $300. Any thoughts? should I take a look at something else in this price range?

thanks

Krzysztof W

Bryan Guth

Agent
I have demoed this unit in-store and was wowed by its crystal-clear images and the smoothness. The sound was stellar too. I am strongly leaning towards purchasing a player that uses DCDi deinterlacing, and although personally I don't like the idea of a mega-DVD changer, I would consider this a safe bet if that's where your interests lie. Check out www.crutchfield.com for a good price on this and other Kenwood units. Good luck!

Luke_Y

Second Unit
As far as DVD playback; when it was introduced the major flaw that sticks in my mind was a 3 second layer change (far too long). I don't know if that has been corrected in later units though. Long disc load/read time was also a complaint. Umm.. The fact that when you power it up, it automatically starts playing the last disc played was also a gripe. If you use it for DVDs, how often do you want to watch the same movie the next time you turn it on? The auto play apparently has you waiting some time before you can get it stopped and select/start what you really want.

Other than that, the only other flaws I remember were mostly centered around it's interaction with the Entree Entertainment Hub.

I have only heard praise for it's video and audio quality.

I'm sure others can tell you more as I don't have experience with one. Just trying to recall the buzz from when they were introduced last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks