Kenwood reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by bryan A, Aug 4, 2004.

1. bryan A

bryan A Agent

I have a Kenwood vr407 reciever that I am having a problem with calibration, I just bought an spl meter and I am trying to calibrate the speakers with my sound and vision calibration disk but the problem that I am having is my reciever settings do not allow me to calibrate the front speakers it only does the center rears and sub. I know that the reciever has it's own calibration test tones but the problem with that is they only last for 2 seconds in each speaker which to me sounds like it would take me forever to get this to calibrate correctly.
    Could I get some advice on the best way to get around this.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have the same reciever as you... to set up the mains, you HAVE to go through the reciever's test tones.

What i usually do is play the test tone on the DVD, then go into the set up where i adjust the mains. get back out of set up mode, check again with the calibration DVD. If not calibrated yet, i go back in.

Its kind of a hassle, but it really doesnt take that long.

3. bryan A

bryan A Agent

I am still confused in one area to me when I set the volume for the dvd to read 75db compared to the test tones from the reciever they sound different and I thought had a different db level, so how do I get them to read the same db reading.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The test tone from the reciever would be different than the test tone from the DVD.

It is more accurate to calibrate using the test tone form the DVD as reference, and just ignore the reciever-generated test tone.

5. bryan A

bryan A Agent

Thank you for the help.

6. Andrew_J_M

Andrew_J_M Auditioning

The way I do this, using the S&V DVD, is to use the main volume control and the balance control of the receiver to get both the front speakers to play 75dB (as measured at the listening position). Then I set each of the other speakers to the same 75dB by using the individual trim controls.

The sub-woofer I typically set to be 78dB - though I do change this "on the fly" while watching DVDs.

Note the main volume setting when one of the front speakers is playing the tones at 75dB - on some receivers you can make this 0, on others it will be a number like 65 (the setting on my old JVC receiver). Depending on your individual preferences you will probably use a lower setting when actually playing DVDs.

Don't forget the distance or delay settings. You should measure the distance from the listening position to each speaker. Your receiver may use feet, metres or milliseconds for this setting. 1 millisecond is roughly 1 foot or 30 centimetres. That is very approximately the distance sound travels in 1 millisec. OK so you know distance to each speaker. Adjust the settings appropriately. In my case the surrounds and fronts are approximately the same distance and the rears are an extra 2 feet away.

I hope this helps,
    Good luck,

Andrew