Kenwood receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Albert M, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

My question to all you Kenwood owners out there is, do you like the "cinema/eq" feature on or off? And please list what format when answering(DD, DTS, DPL2, Circle Surround). Also, to those who own the new Kenwood receivers, do you prefer DPL2 or Circle Surround(please list for cable, vhs tapes, fm radio, etc). Thanks.
    [Edited last by Albert M on October 05, 2001 at 06:26 AM]

2. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

I have the 507 receiver. I haven't played around much with the cinema/eq feature so I can't comment on that much other than to say that I like the sound I'm getting without it.
    I wondered myself about your other question regarding circle surround though. I tried DPLII and Circle Surround for listening to cable tv and I prefer Circle Surround. On the other hand, I prefer DPLII for vhs movies, or 2-channel/mono DVDs. Radio and other music I always listen in 2-channel stereo mode, no processing. Can't really tell you why, just 'cause, I guess.
    JKS
    ------------------
    My one goal in life is to live forever.
    Ya know what? . . . So far, So good! Yeah!

3. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

I feel the C/EQ gives more dynamics in the sound (DD, DTS).
    I use PLII for VHS movies and TV mostly.
    [Edited last by KevinQ on October 05, 2001 at 03:16 PM]

4. LewisD

LewisD Extra

I have the 509, and I haven't used Cinema/EQ all that much.
    For most stereo audio (like cable), I prefer DPL2. DPL2 seems to have better seperation of individual channels, CS5.1 has a tendancy to pick up some of the center channel in the surrounds on some content. However, Circle Surrond 5.1 has much deeper bass then DPL2. But it really depends on what you're watching. Titan A.E. on Cinemax via digital cable was absolutely wonderfull in CS5.1
    I have an imported Nintendo Gamecube, and the games I have sound great in both DPL2 and CS5.1

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I don't like the Cinema/Eq feature. It's always off.
    IMO, Circle Surround has some interesting things to offer for music. It does not sound so well for movies/TV for me.
    I really like DPL II. I specifically upgraded to my 509 from a Sony to get DPL II (I already had DPL II in my living room setup and wanted in the bedroom too.) DPL II has a very expansive, and yet, natural soundfield. The DPL II Music mode allows a fair amount of adjustments to tailor it to your own personal tastes. Just really great sound!!!
    I use DPL II Cinema for video, older based DVDs, and TV. I mainly use DPL II Music for FM radio. I listen to CDs in both stereo and DPL II Music mode.
    ------------------

6. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

Any other kenwood owners out there?