What's new

Kenwood Receiver question? (1 Viewer)

I have been using a Kenwood VR-507 receiver for the last few years. I just started noticing that when I start watching DVDs that there are clicks coming from the receiver. It appears to be occurring when the disc first loads up and when it switches from the Warning screen to the main feature.

If I had to make a guess about it, I would say it clicks when it is changing from an analog to digital audio signal.(I have it set to D-Auto)

It is the same kind of click that is made when switching between Video 1(VCR), Video 2(Toshiba DVD), Video 3(Xbox), and DVD/6CH(Panasonic DVD).

Is this noise normal or is this a sign that my receiver is going bad?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Its just the reciever switching modes... It does this normally... Kinda odd that it just started doing this.. maybe you hvent noticed all these years... I know my VR407 did this from the start...

Thanks.

When you say "switching modes", do you also mean between the Warning screen and opening credits/scenes of the main feature?

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
The "click" happens on my VR-507 when I'm switching between stereo and 5.1. I figure it's just some relay inside doing its business.

Thanks, but I don't quite understand. Does the "click" occur only when you manual change from stereo to 5.1 or does this happen on its own once you have started a movie?

Ed*Wheaton

Agent
Mine happens on it's own.I've just got a cheap Sony 5.1 and once in a while I notice the clicking too.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Because there are different audio tracks going from menu to menu. There is no audio stream when it switches menus...

As for warning -> menu screen. usually, the warning screen has no audio track, thus the reciever doesnt do anything. When it goes to the Menu screen, there IS an audio track, causing the reciever to change its mode to the corresponidng audio decoding mode (Analog Stereo, downmix, DPL, DD, DTS, etc).

Its normal...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks