What's new

Kenwood Passive Subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Matt Nevala

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone, Ive had the kenwood Home Theater in a Box system (HTB 204) for about a year now and i must say ive had nothing but positive to say about it until now. I put in another home theater system yesterday and i realized that im lacking bass during dvd play back in D.D 5.1 and DTS. Its a passive subwoofer with just speaker inputs, it sounds great with music but not with movies. Is there anything i can do to make it better? also i do have inline output from my amp to run to a subwoofer as well. if there is nothing i can do could i get an active sub and hook it up with that output? would both subs work then?

thanks a bunch,
matt

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I don't know anything about your system, but if you have a sub out or line level out from your receiver, you should be able to get yourself the DLS 10" sub from Parts express.com (it's a $99.00 sub and I think the best in it's price range- do a search on the forum). Both subs should work this way, but you will probably want to just use the DLS.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Matt,
There are a lot of great subs out there for more money. This thread should help you decide if the DLS is good for music or what you are looking for. I think the actuall comparison to the famous sony sub starts on page 2 of the thread. It's not a VTF 3, of course. I guess they would "hit at the same time" (by this you mean play at the same time, right), but I don't know if that matters or not due to crossovers, etc. I would think that with some tweaking it wouldn't really matter that they were on at the same time, but a more knowledgable person would have to comment on that. I'm sure they will soon.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
By the way, this all depends on the size of the room you have your system in, of course. If the volume of your room is too large- you may need an even bigger, badder, better sub- or get two DLS subs stacked and corner placed - still a good deal for the money.

Matt Nevala

Stunt Coordinator
my room is only 10 x 12 so i think that a one DLS would work, along with my kenwood if ir sounds right together.

thanks

Matt Nevala

Stunt Coordinator
i was looking at pictures of the DLS, and its rca input have Left and Right (red and white) my sub output only has one. could i still be able to use it?

thanks
matt

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Yes you would be able to Matt. This is very common. You could use a Y at the end of your sub cable into your sub or just plug in the sub cable to the red RCA input. The "Mighty little DLS" would be a definite upgrade for you and would perform very well for the money in a 10x12 HT room.

Matt Nevala

Stunt Coordinator
thanks a bunch, im gonna get it as soon as my car audio project is completed. i cant wait. one last question, should i run both subs or just the DLS?

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Why not try them both. Let your ears decide, but I think you will love the DLS and not need the other sub. Also, calibrating two subs will require more tweaking if you use both, but that could be part of the fun, right? Happy tweaking!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks