Kenwood opinions needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Bell, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Andy Bell

Andy Bell Stunt Coordinator

Happy Holidays Everyone,

I am in Florida visiting my parents for Christmas, and while i am here I want to help them buy a new receiver to go with the DVD player I am giving them for Christmas.

They don't want to spend a whole lot & I was ready to tell them to get the onkyo 595 until i read about the issues with some new dvds and the audio dropout problems. The only other receiver I can find in their area (Ft. Walton Bch) that has all the current surround formats and in their price range is the Kenwwod VR-510.

At $399.99 and THX certified, it seems like a good deal.(Although I think kind of ugly) I use to have a Kenwood Pro-Logic receiver and had good luck with it. Just wanted to know if any of you have any exprience with this receiver or another one in this part of Kenwwods line of receivers.

Thanks for any help,

Andy

2. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

The VR510 for $400 is a steal, The VR507,509 and 510 have DD, DTS, DPL2(with adjustable music mode) and SRS Circle Surround. Some people have found the VR509 for $300 at Circuit City but I would spend the extra $100 for a VR510.

3. Alexander_J

Alexander_J Auditioning

IMHO, i think there is no reason to justify the extra $100 dollars on a 510 over the 509. They are the EXACT same receiver, except for a few watts that wont make a difference (105 vs. 110 if i remember correctly...correct me if i am wrong) and what else? Oh yeah that fancy THX certified sticker thing that really doesnt mean all that much. I say see if you can get the 509 for $300

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I agree! You can't go wrong with the Kenwood 510, but if your parents are not interested in the extra wattage(10 watts=negligable) or the THX re-eq, then save a $100 and get the 509 and a handful of DVD's.

Just for the record Kenwood does pay to have their 510 THX certified, but STILL HAS to pass THX minimum requirements(this is a good thing). Not all receivers will pass THX requirements.

5. Tony Richardson

I own the VR-509 and have never heard any dropouts or any other problems with the reciever

Don't waiste the mooney of the 510 they would be very pleased with the 509 just as I am.

6. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

What is it about the 510 that you find ugly? Is it the color? If so, the 509 is basic black, and you might find it more appealing.

7. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

8. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Andy, I like the Kenwood VR-507 that I have in my HT so much, I bought another one a couple of weeks ago for my living room.....for $300 (or less), this receiver is unbeatable, IMO! [​IMG]
    Good luck and Happy Holidays!
    Vin

9. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

I got a Kenwood VR507 for 235 on the interernet, brand new. I don't think the 509 or the 510 have enough extras for me to pay for them. Take the money saved and put it towards another component upgrade:p)

10. Andy Bell

Andy Bell Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

Did'nt mean to insult anyone by saying I thought the 500 series were ugly. I guess I just like the looks of my Denon. Sorry.

Anyway, from the positive reviews here, this will be a great receiver for my parents.

Can someone tell me if the 500 receivers are easy to set up & do they have on screen displays?

Thanks Again & Happy Holidays

Andy

11. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

They're very easy to set up and they don't have on screen displays.

Vin