What's new

Kenwood KR-V9080 Can I use it? (1 Viewer)

Mumps

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
Hi, I am very new to the world of Surround Sound. And I recently acquired an old Kenwood KR-V9080 Amp/Receiver, and a Kenwood GE-7030 Equalizer.

I know these are old (1996...) but can I still use these with an HDTV system?

Will I have to replace my Receiver? Is the Equalizer still good?

I will be buying a new LDC HDTV coming up soon. And I am wondering if my unit is obsolete or not. My Blu-Ray player is my Laptop, which connects via HDMI.

I have a 5.1 setup of Paradigm speakers which should still be good.

So... if this isn't good, what options do I have to upgrade?

Thanks!

Real Name
Freddie Ross
I'd hold off on using the EQ unless you feel you really need it.

The receiver should work with an HDTV, but it is definetely obsolete. Obviously you won't be able to take advantage of any video switching the receiver has, and if the receiver isn't digital (I can't seem to find this info) you won't be able to make use of Dolby Digital soundtracks which are on nearly every DVD, never mind the new formats that come with BluRays. You will be stuck with ProLogic which is a format that matrixes surround sound out of two channel sources (and even this is obsolete, with the much improved ProLogic II being standard now, however most people only use this for TV broadcasts and DVDs that don't have a 5.1 soundtrack).

You can get a new Onkyo receiver which has all the latest formats and such for about $350. There are honestly a lot of options here and ultimately it's up to you in what features you want and what sound you like, but the Onkyo 606 is the cheapest I know of with the new formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks