Kenwood KM-Z1 6 Channel Amp Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by erikk, Feb 3, 2002.

1. erikk

erikk Stunt Coordinator

Ok does anyone know this amp? Its a 6 channel amp designed for a 5.1 system. It has Left, Right, Surround Left, Surround Right, Center and Subwoofer channels. I want to use it as a 6 channel amp for Left, Right, Side Left, Side Right, Rear Left, Rear Right.
    Basically I need to know if I can use Sub and Center as matched channels for side left and side right.
    Info on the amp is located here if you are interested but don't know the amp personally:
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/p...p?productId=303

2. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Erik,

Yes you can. I have two of them in a bi/tri amped set up. Very similar as you described. If you do not have one yet get a radio shack spl meter. I can't remember off hand but the "labeled" surrounds channels are 5 watts per channel more than the rest. You can conpensate easily via the level controls with your preamp. good luck

3. erikk

erikk Stunt Coordinator

Thanks James;

The surrounds?? are 5 amps highly? That seems very weird, I would think if anything the mains would be higher than everything else. I know that the amp is 135 when run in stereo and 130 with 6 channels driven.

Already have a SPL meter but I didn't want to be running one speaker in a set at a certain wattage and another at a different even if they were calibrated.

4. James Mudler

Kenwood's site is down - I reference my manual tonight. Don't hold me to the surrounds, I could be wrong. Still a killer amp for the $.

5. James Mudler

Erik,

I emailed you a scaned image. The specs page of the KMZ-1 manual.