What's new

Kenwood Is Dying, Looking To Get New $300-under Receiver For New HDTV System (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Subject sort of says it all.

Saw this similar thread

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=250272

But didn't want to hijack it. I have a Kenwood VR-507 that I got in 2001 as part of a Home-Theater-In-A-Box. The speakers, surprisingly, hold up fine-- I live in an apartment and anything else would be overkill. But the receiver is showing its age -- the IR panel seems to have fritzed out and I can't use my remote -- and I'm upgrading to HDTV in the next few weeks w/a Sony KDF-E50A10. Unlike the previous thread, however, I have no need for 7.1. I'm fine with my 5.1 system.

I'm looking for something that's not going to break the bank ($300 and under) and has plenty of inputs and good video-switching. I'm fine with S-Video inputs instead of component. I'm going to use it for my DVD changer (non-HDMI), LD player, Xbox (I have a multi-region dvd player mod for it), and Xbox 360. I have TiVo, but am getting a Comcast HD DVR package, alas, that will replace it (at least until the ComcasTiVo boxes are introduced mid-year). Having an AM/FM receiver or phono input is not important (I have that in my office).

I run my old receiver to my current 32" Sony via a thick S-Video cable. I don't know much about upgrading to component video, so a few pointers regarding that would be helpful as well.

Thanks much!

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I would hold off any upgrade until you get the new HDTV. Having an HDTV might change your perception about s-video and component video. My guess is you'll want to get a upscaling DVD player. ;)

In any case, I would strongly recommend a receiver with at least three HD video inputs, whether it's component, DVI or HDMI. You can never have enough HD video inputs. Lip sync correction is another nice feature, as with typical HD monitor the video lags behind the audio. Once you have firm feature set in mind, the choice narrows down.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. I'm waiting for the PS3 to get the Blu-Ray player; when my old Sony DVD player bit the dust last year, I got a '05 Sony changer b/c I knew that, once after hi-def DVD hits, I could use it to replace my -- get this -- 1988-era CD changer that still works, although barely, in my office.

Are HD video inputs doing to break the bank for me? I hate having to upgrade my receiver as soon as I get the damn TV, which is expensive enough already? Any suggestions?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm also in the market for a budget receiver to go with my newer equipment and have pretty much settled on the Onkyo TXSR503 - $299.99 list, currently on sale at Circuit City for $239.99 after an instant discount and mail-in rebate. No HDMI or DVI, but it does have three component video inputs and plenty of digital audio inputs.

Regards,

Joe

JackS

Supporting Actor
In this price range Mark, I'd assume quality equal among all brands since there is no practical way to make any judgement one way or the other.
If this is true, I'd shop for something other than "Brand" and go for warranty. Warranty would probably range from 90 days to two years. Also read the parts/ labor fine print to be sure you understand exactly your liability.
If your less concerned with warranty, I'd shop for a single feature that you know you will use continually. Features that you will not use are worthless and can add to the price of the receiver that you may be consdering.
Think ,consider, buy wisely. Good luck

Timm.L

Auditioning
Mark Cappelletty,

I do not have a recommendation on the receiver but I will tell you that you will love the new Sony HDTV. I just bought mine about 2-3 weeks ago to get ready for the Super Bowl. It is a quality television and watching DVD's on it is just amazing. Good luck on the receiver search as that is my next investment along with new speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks