Kenwood HTiB

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JonoT, Feb 11, 2004.

1. JonoT

JonoT Auditioning

A few months ago I purchased a Kenwood HTiB system that included the VR-715 receiver + speakers and subwoofer. I find myself having to crank the audio from -92dB to -30 or more to get the loudness I desire. Is this normal? Maybe a factor of the speakers (probably cheap)? I mean, from -92 to -60 or so audio is pretty much non existent to me. I know I could buy some better speakers. I do have 2 Sony speakers from an older stereo system(1994 or so) that I could maybe use as the front surround speakers. Any input appreciated. Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

As long as it sounds good at the volumes you desire, don't sweat it.

The graduations on volum controls, have very little bearing to anything at all.

Enjoy!!!

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I had a Kenwood VR-407 HTiB (before I upgraded). Your numbers appear to be normal, the "100watt x 5" receiver couldn't output 20watts per channel if it were struck by lightning.

Anyway, back when I had the Kenwood:

Music: -40db.

TV: -35db.

Movies: -30 to -26db. (depending how explosive the soundtrack is).

I honestly don't know why the bottom fifty decibles are even programmed into the reciever at all.

4. JonoT

JonoT Auditioning

Thanks for the replies guys. The volume levels you listed are about what I use also. At least I know it's normal for these receivers. Thanks [​IMG]

5. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

I got the same Kenwood HT-206 package about the same time you did. Those speakers have a 83 db sensitivity rating, which is very inefficient. 90 db and up is considered efficient. If you hook up 90 db speakers to that same receiver, you will get much higher volume out of your system.
    I'm upgrading all my speakers right now. I got a BIC Dv52si center channel, 90 db sensitivity, off eBay for $59, and it made a huge improvement. The rear surrounds are Wharfedale WH-2 bipoles from ecost.com for $65, 88 db sens. You don't have to go all out for the rears because they only provide ambient sound mostly, so if you want to save money you can do it on the rears. Found a pair of BIC V62 mains on eBay for $64, should arrive Friday. I haven't bought a new sub yet but may pull the trigger on a $125 BIC off where else, eBay. Total cost is $313 for upgrading all the speakers.
    I'm feeling pretty confident the new speakers will put out a very respectable sound, by that I mean if an audiophile heard my HT system, his or her ears will not be hurt by it or when friends come over to watch a movie they're going to say "wow it sounds darn good". I'm not trying to get the best sound money can buy, just the best sound for a low budget. So, when you want to get a big boost in your sound quality, staying with the same receiver, spending less than $350 can do it for you.

6. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

I had an older Kenwood DD only receiver in which i had a couple speaker sets set up to. I had a "micro" AR set with a passive sub for a while. with that i nearly always had the Kenwood cranked in the -20's. Later on I had Sony towers and powered sub. With the later setup i kept the volume in the high -30's and low -40's. So it seems your KW is normal. But like John said...

As long as it sounds good at the volumes you desire, don't sweat it.

But if you do wish to upgrade you speakers, I agree with Ken and think that the Bic Venturi series belong among the best values to be had.