Kenwood HTIB models

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd K, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I've seen a great deal of positive reviews for the Kenwood HTIB systems, particularly the HTB-504. But what about their other systems? Is there a reason why I wouldn't want the 404, or 204 (are there other models, such as 304 maybe)?

Is the difference in these setups in the receivers or the speakers that come with them? I'd like to go with the 504, but it's pushing my price range right now. If I could get it for cheaper than $400 it would be nice, but I'd consider a lower model depending on what the differences are.

Thanks,

Todd

2. Maneesh

Maneesh Stunt Coordinator

The older Kenwood HTB models come with a passive subwoofer and an older receiver. The VR-507 that's part of the 504 is a great receiver by itself and has DPLII which was a big factor for me. The speakers in the older models have smaller drivers, but the speakers in the Kenwood HTB's are the weakest part.

The receiver and sub you get in the 504 are the real bargains and will probably last a lot longer than the speakers in your HT setup.

The price difference is

3. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

I was just about to post this exact same question. I am looking at 504 package with the 5-disc DVD for 629.99, but I am was hoping someone had more information. I figure this was a good mid-range purchase that I can upgrade over time.

4. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Ah yes, i see the 204 has the passive subwoofer. But what is the difference between the 404 and the 504? I couldn't really find any information about subwoofers or power.

And Mark, I think the addition of the DVD player to the package is a solid buy, but I don't know too much about Kenwood DVD players themselves. Since you have to option to buy with or without the player, you can probably get a very highly rated model from another brand for about the same price.

Todd

5. Maneesh

Maneesh Stunt Coordinator

The 404 has a 50W powered sub. It still has the older receiver (don't know which model). This is where I found the info.
    The price difference is now

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I bought the 204 about two years ago now. Its been a great system for me. Just the right size for my 1 bedroom apartment. Now that I've moved into a house, I'm planning on upgrading just about everything!

7. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

The VR-507 also has SRS Circle Surround.