What's new

Kenwood HTB 705DV (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I started out with the Kenwood 504 on the advice of the members here on the Forum. Was I ever impressed. At the time it was the top dog in recommendations. The Kenwood 505 was the next model to come out and it was basically the same unit but slightly better. The 504 and the 505 has a powered subwoofer "it's own separate amp built into the sub" which I myself like better than the 705's passive "powered by the receiver" sub. IMO the speakers look a little hokey on the 705. You might like the look better yourself though. You could pick up the 505 for much cheaper and use what you save for your DVD player. If your budget permitted, you might consider the Onkyo 650? Since it's premier it has become the number one rated/recommended bang for your $$ unit. Most who have compared have decided to go with the Onkyo. If I were in the market for a HTiB, I would go with the Onkyo 650 and my second choice would be the Kenwood 505. All this to the side.....It will be you that lives with your decision. Good luck in the direction you decide.:emoji_thumbsup: If you should decide to check out the reviews over at Circuit City that might be a little help to. You will also notice the direction most of the sales are going.

NealH

Grip
thank you very much...the 705 had nice reviews

I do agree the speakers look weird on the 705 but I liked the idea of 5cd dvd changer for the $499 price

I will check out the Onkyo 650..I looked at this one but there appears to be a low frequency issue..so have to buy and try it out to make sure there are no problems..seems like an extra hassle

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Sorry NealH I don't quit follow. Low frequency issue and extra hassle? The 705 has 10 reviews and the Onkyo has 300 reviews if memory serves me correct. O I get it now. In the reviews there seemed to be a LF issue cropping up? Extra hassle in trying both units out?

NealH

Grip
The hassle would be getting the Onkyo and trying to find the problem(not being sure if I can detect it) and then returning the receiver....

Are you happy with the Kenwood 504...

I have never owned any type of siginificant audio setup...my sound is from a 2 speaker Bookshelf system from Aiwa so this would be my first attempt at home theater setup..Our new house will have ceiling mounted rear speakers so I just need the front speakers, center channel, sub and receiver...I figured the Kenwood 705 would be fine for my needs although the speakers do look alittle goofy...I did not realize the sub was not powered separately...that seems real odd...the Onkyo system sounds very nice and customer support has been good to people now that they acknowledge the issue...

the DVD changer the on kenwood sounds good too...tough for someone who has vey limited knowledge

For me I get the factory installed Bose systmes in my cars...but for home little or nothing and I would primarily use it for movies...my wife would use it 10x more for music than me

I guess I should go with the Onkyo for better sound...I can always get another dvd player....would you buy the refurb from Onkyo for $440 vs $520 new from CC..extended warranty from Onkyo would add $50 but does not cover the speakers

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Does the warranty from Onkyo cover the sub? Another option would be the Kenwood 505. Much cheaper than the 705 and a better unit imo. It has a powered sub. Use the money you save to buy your DVD player. Check it out on line.______________________
I was very impressed with the 504. I have since moved on but bang for the $$ it was great and the way to go at the time.> vanns.com has the 505 for $369 Free shipping. It is the HTB 505 Kenwood.

AaronJB

Second Unit
The Onkyo HT-650 has an issue with the LFE output from the receiver. The 5.1 speaker set (SKSHT-500 model) that comes with the HT-650, however, is excellent. You may want to consider a different receiver from another brand with these speakers.

NealH

Grip
Thanks again

I leaning toward the Kenwood 505..BB has it onsale for $350 or so AR

The Onkyo is very nice but I am concerned about the LFE but it appears it was a bad batch of receivers and Onkyo has been very good in fixing it.

I read the warranty on the Onkyo refurb but could not tell whether the sub is covered they specifically stated the speakers are not covered..also I decided to avoid this as I would bet the return was due to receiver issue and if not fixed I would have to return it and get it fixed

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The HT500 speaker package with another receiver like Aaron suggests would be great to and better. Maybe a little over budget for you? Anyhow the Ken 505 will do a very good job for you in it's category. It will far surpass most of the $%^%$#@ out there that refer to itself as a HTiB.. Suggestion> Be sure to buy some 14 or 16 gage speaker wire and a new sub cable along with your new unit. You do not need to go with a spendy sub cable either. When you get it home and set it up you will be quit taken from it's output. Our homes have perimeter walls which work in our favor unlike the B Buy warehouse atmosphere. If you get a chance be sure to let us know how it works out with whatever decision you make.:emoji_thumbsup:

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
i dont know why people like the onkyo speakers so much, but then i guess theyre a good deal for what you get, but the sound they produce is very limited, low sensitivity and its horrible for music,

the htb-650 system is a good beginner system for the price, but the lfe issue is a big no no, if you get a system with no lfe problem, then its worth the price, but its not worth the hassle if you have to return the system(quite a big box with lots of wires and pieces over 100 lbs) if its defective.

i had to return mine 3 times and all three were defective, that was enough for me to cross out onkyo permanently as a reputable company.

i have not gotten the kenwood system, but i would assume the onkyo system would provide a higher performance for the money.

either way if youre going to use the kenwood 505 or onkyo 650, imo none of those systems will provide a decent hometheater experience, unless used in a small room. look at the specifications of the recievers in the htibs and see which one provides performance that ll make you happy for the price. dont pay attention to the cosmetics of the speaker, because youll probably end up upgrading the speakers anyway once you find out how lacking they are.

good luck with your purchases.

NealH

Grip
Thanks for all the help
My house will not be done untill June 1....

I also have the option of the Onkyo speakers for $250 HT500 series speakers(I think this same speakers in the HT650) with a $500 receiver/5 dvd changer from Onkyo DRC500 ..this total $750 looks pretty good too

As I said I am by no means an audiophile and probably would not even tell some of the differences others do...simple ignorance I am sure once you get and tweak and "get into the experience" you learn alot more

I was asked to determine the specs need for my room...what should I look for....The room is open with one major wall to one side the TV/front speakers will be against a wall with a small builder built-in entertainment center with 3 windows above the ledge where the front speakers will reside, the sub would be in the entertainment...my rear surround will be from 2 ceiling mounted speakers that are prewired
Frt Spr Frt Spr
XX Sub XXXXXXXXX TV XXXXXXXXXXXXXX...enter. ctr
x Ctr Channel
x
x
x x W x
x a x
x l x
x l
x
x
x
x ceiling mt spearks x 2 80w with tweeter from audio guy who does the surround sound in the builder home

I do not recall the exact room size 19x 14 or so max 20 x15
on the left side there are 2 sliding glass door with partial wall and breakfast nook

I realize this not a perfect room for sound but this is were the builder prewired for surround sound

The Audio person who is doing the wiring offered me 2 bookshelf speakers 100w, 100 w center channel and sub 100(?200)w($900 for all these..the ceiling mts were $150 a pair)..I wish I had the name of the speakers..I have it at work I will post ..they were nice quality items but I still needed a receiver which he offered one at $300)...anyway he wanted about $1500 incl 2 ceiling mt in our Master bedroom...I have little knowledge to tell whether these speakers are alot better than Onkyo and kenwood..I have no info on his receiver

I apreciate all the help I realize the info I am giving is minimal since my knowledge is so poor...I figured a HTIB would just be easy since everything is there

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You know Myo K when I started out in this hobby/obsession I thought the $700 I spent would suffice for a considerable amount of time. I bought the Sony WM-40 "ran duel" sub along with my kenwood 504 HTiB and a DVD player plus new wire and cables. I was willing to spend more on getting started but WAF kicked in and had a limiting affect on my debut in the world of HT. Prior to this I thought a Big screen TV would be the answer. All it did is wet my appetite for more. Now I would be willing to spend close to that amount on just the center knowing full well that this is a very small price to pay compared to the $20,000 that some are willing to pay for just their mains, but way out of my Liege and I would not be willing if I could anyway? WAF does not have the influence that it once did either. I'm hooked____________________________________________ ____>>>>
IMO the HTiB can provide a very good experience if done right with the right product. I know family's that are very happy with the worst of the HTiB systems and then I know others that would cringe at these systems. I myself cringe. I think it's good to keep it all in context/perspective. Some can't "$$" and others "won't" or make it a "priority" Regardless.__________>>>>
NealH do you know if this is going to be the beginning of your HT endeavor or a end all? I bet you don't know yet? Time will tell. I am definitely no expert compared to some/many others here on the Forum but I think I have addressed your original question?> First time inexpensive home theater._________________________________________>>>
If you should decide upgrading your sub-speakers down the road I can highly recommend Brian Bunge with -Rutledge Audio- "a very respected name here on the Forum" as a good option and yes of course SVS. You would have to promise not to run around telling people their sub or speakers are a piece of ^&*% though!:D :D

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Do I understand you correctly that you are planning on putting your sub in your entertainment center?:frowning:

NealH

Grip
The sub will be placed on the bottom of the entertainment ctr in a bottom shelf so too speak .. I was offred to place in a corner of the room in the back but I was worried my wife would not like this box in corner and effect the appearence of the room with furniture in place...I was not sure what to do but I figured if the sub was wired in spot in the entertainment ctr it would be out of sight....I can always place it on the ledge of the entertainment ctr in a corner

I guess this was a bad decision...crap...

Knowing me and my computer hobby/obsession this may just be the start...we have an upstairs bonus room that may one day be a True home theater room one never knows

BTW I could spend alot more if I wanted but not knowing what I ma doing and the fact I do want to also get a HDTV I want to be reasonable...I figure if I stay in the $500-750 range I doing better than what the audio guy offered

We are moving and there are so many expenses and I want to make sure the items my wife wants to make a house a home come first I have learned this makes her happy ..I can always get my "stuff" later ..

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I understand fully. We built a house 5 years ago and what a process that turned out to be. It was our third and much extra $$ was still needed just for the inside of the dwelling not counting the outside.____________________>>>
Question> Will you have a corner table close to seating that you would be able to slide a sub under? I have found that this option works very well in my HT for one of the lesser subs I run from time to time. It hides the sub to.

NealH

Grip
No corner table at this time..we have a Sectional unit that will occupy the room and with Sliding glass doors on one side really can not place a table there

Funny thing was when I had the option of the sub in back of the room in a corner or at entertainment ctr..I figured my wife would be pissed if a black box was in a corner(if you could place a plant or knick-knack on it..so I said no way our sectional will not back right up to it and it will not be hidden....there will be black box my wife will not be happy...

So what does she say..I do not care do whatever you want..I can not visualize it..S I am thin kfor a minute what would be worse..in 2months for a black box to be in corner of the room that screw her decor or more hidden....I figure safe...

We have a cut out in the entertainment center with center have a place for a big scree tv and I figure I can hide the sub here in a corner may not be best solution but it will have to do

ToddAC

Auditioning
Does anybody know if it's possible to add a powered Sub to the 705?

It seems that with this one extra upgrade, this system is a heck of a deal.

ToddAC

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
You could compromise like I did on your system, get BOTH Kenwood AND Onkyo. What I did was get the Kenwood 6050 reciever, which I got on clearence at CC for $249 (the 6070 which is recommonended by some on here is probably another $100 and is another good option) and I love the receiver. Then from Onkyo website I bought the Onkyo 500 series speakers (same ones in the 650 setup) on refurb for $180 shipped (I had to pay tax, since I am an NJ resident), plus if you sign up for the Onkyo website, I think you get another $10 off. I got my speakers THE NEXT DAY!! The refurbs were supposed to have slight cosmetic problems, but I couldn't find any, and they sound great!! Then you could spend about $150 for a 5 DVD turntable or like I did, $77 on a midlevel Toshiba, which has a great picture for the price. If you plan on going HDTV at some point, you may want to go progressive scan. But for a newbie like me, this system has plenty of bang for the buck for my smallish family room with my Sony 27: Wega flatscreen. Down the road, I'll probably add the widescreen / big screen, but for now, I am happier than a pig in, well you know :)

NealH

Grip
thanks for the reply..I picked upa Philips 793C 5 disc dvd changer for $120 and I think I will get the HYS650 refurb from Onkyo webiste as others are having a good experience...would you get the extended warranty...the HTS 650 refurb is $320

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks