What's new

Kenwood HTB-705DV and Subwoofers (1 Viewer)

John Suit

Grip
Ok, I like my Kenwood HTB-705DV. It fills my room, which is pretty small. The only thing is, I would like to get a better subwoofer. This presents a problem for the HTB-705DV, because it has the subwoofer amp built into the receiver. Is there a decent or better-than-decent sub out there which I can get to replace the non-powered subwoofer in my current system, or do I have to get an RCA conversion kit or something?

Thanks for any help/info.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Great John. Can I make a suggestion? Go ahead and take the 705 back and trade it in for the Kenwood 505 or the Onkyo 650. I know it will be a pain but you will find that rout worth it. Mail me if you have any questions concerning? I will be glad to give you any answers I can.

John Suit

Grip
Thanks, but (A) What do I tell Circuit City when I go to return it, and (B) why the Kenwood 505, is it because of the powered sub only?
After listening to the system for a few days, it really isn't bad, especially considering the small size of the room it's in.
Also, I have an RCA conversion kit, which I could put to good use hooking it up to a powered sub [I think].

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Taking it back would be no problem but you have other ideas and I understand. I started out with the 504 and was very pleased. I have a habit of jumping in when Kenwood systems or HTiB are brought up. I recommend them all the time and appreciate the forum for recommending the 504 to me. I tried to stay away from your Thread but did not make it. I once again understand.

John Suit

Grip
Oh, thank YOU! I appreciate all the help I have been given so far on this forum!

I have one more question though:

Since the receiver has a 100 watt amp built in for the sub, are there any replacement subs I could get that would do nicely with 100 watts of power input? Something that isn't powered by its own amp, but instead is powered by the Kenwood Receiver's amp?

Thanks!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
What would your budget be and your selection will be very limited. I have herd of the SVS-CS running off of 100watts. Definitely a league ahead of the ken sub. I doubt if the built in amp on the Ken really puts out a 100 though. But I think it should still do well compared. Ask Tom V or maybe a few cs owners will chime in and give you a better Idea what it would take to get one off the ground?

John Suit

Grip
My budget could be whatever I want it to be :c)

Right now [since I purchased the 705] the budget is limited, but in a couple weeks or so, most likely around Xmas, the budget will be better :c)

Do you have any info on this SVS, or any of the other subs which will work with my 705?

Also, what about a "line driver"? I have heard of these things for cars, do they have them for home audio? If so, that would make things great, since a line driver could be used to boost the signal going to the sub.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
SVS banner at the top of Forum page and you would need to ask SVS if this is a option? You would need to know OHM output of ken amp. You can download the SVS CS subwoofer manual to. I think it has some info in it that might be of interest to you. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread