Kenwood HTB 505

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walt H, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

My neighbor's on a tight budget but want's to get a home theater system. I told him about Kenwood's HTB. Does the subwoofer which comes with the Kenwood HTB 505 have a volume control on it?

P.S. He's looking in the $400-$500 range.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Yep. There is a intensity control. I believe you can also control the ammount of bass by changing the LFE level at the receiver.

3. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

In you guys expert opinions the Kenwood HTB 505 would be a nice choice for a tight budget?

4. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I was in B Buy the other day and I was looking at the 505. I was a little disappointed in the sub. I like the 504s sub allot better. I did not see any controls what so-ever on the back of the sub. If you can still find the 504 I would go with it instead. The Onkyo 650 on sale for 500-550 might, will be better than the 505. I have the 504 in part and it is great for the money. It will amaze you.

6. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

I see now there is an HTB 504. Which one is the better system HTB 504 or HTB 544? Those numbers are so close I thought one was just a typo.

7. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Perhaps this link can help:
    Review of Kenwood HTB 503
    I know is not the model you are looking for, but if it is comparable I think, based on this review, that it is as good as it can be. Solid performance for the price.

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

If you can The 504 will be better imo and many others. The 504s sub is better than the 505s sub. The 504s VR-507 receiver is a solid performer to. The 504 can still be found I think?

9. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

10. David Cohen

David Cohen Agent

The Sub for the Kenwood HTiB is not a powered model. The receiver has 6 channels of power, 1 of those for the sub which connects via a permanently attached (at the sub) speaker wire. The volume would be controlled via the remote or front panel controls. Thsi is a very anemic design as far as bass perfomance goes. There are better alternatives in the price range. I agree that the Onkyo HTS650 is a good choice.

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

David is speaking of the 505. He sums it up good regarding the sub. I would not want that in my house. I am biased to the 504. Like I said- I started out with it and still use the receiver, but it seems the consensus is the Onkyo 650 is slightly better. I have a strong hunch it most likely is. The sub the 504 came with was a darn good sub for the money but the Onkyo has a 150 watt sub and the speakers appear to be nicer.

12. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

David & Steve, I think you guys are talking about the HTB-205. Go to www.kenwoodusa.com and take a look at the 205 and 505.

13. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Steve nn,

The 504's sub is a powered sub, i.e. it has it's own volume control on the sub rather than as David describes the 505?

14. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Yes Walt I have the 504 in part. I have upgraded most of it but for the money it was a solid performer and for the money it came with a darn good sub. [​IMG]

15. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Steve nn. I'll have to try and find the 504 someplace online for my neighbor.

16. Albert M

www.crutchfield.com has pictures of the HTB-505 sub, it looks like the same sub as the HTB-504. This store has the HTB-505 for $399, print the price out and take it to Sears for an internet price match.

17. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

It looks like the same sub from the front but the one I saw at BB sure was not the same sub, "yes it does look the same". If you were to look at the back you would say,, mmmm no controls, no input, no crossover defeat, no on or off, no gain, no phase, and I do believe it was the 505. If you can IMO I would not go with the 505 on account of this. 504 or the 650 Onkyo will serve you well. C City has the 650 on sale at this time.

18. Albert M

Steve
    Go to www.crutchfield.com and look at the picture of the HTB-505 sub(it shows the back of the sub). The back of the sub has the knobs, etc. Sounds like you saw the HTB-405 at BB.

19. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

My neighbor is driving me batty trying to pick out a low budget home theater package for him. So far I've narrowed it down to three systems for him. Which would be the best:

Kenwood HTB 504 or 544 (if I can find these models)
    Onkyo 650

He seems to be leaning towards the Sony HT-DDW840 because it's "cheaper" and it's on sale at BestBuy for $379.

Since I'm not at all familiar with HTB, and it's HIS MONEY, is there any reason why he SHOULDN'T get the Sony 840 he wants to get due to the price?

20. Marc A. R.

Marc A. R. Auditioning

I bought the 505 last week. It does have the knobs on the back for volume and crossover control and it does have a volume control. It is powered.

Also, it kicks much a**.

'Nuff said.