Kenwood HTB 505 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Furtek, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

Today I had a chance to go to the Crutchfield Outlet / Retail store in Charlottesville, VA. I wanted to inquire about the Kenwood HTB 544. The Crutchfield guy helping me said they didn't have any, and that it had been discontinued. When he was looking in the computer there was the HTB 504, HTB 544, and also the HTB 505. The HTB 544 apparantly was discontinued on 3/15/2002 according to their computers and in the computer was the new HTB 505, which I haven't even heard of. The Crutchfield price on all of them was $500. Does anyone have any details on this model?

Matthew Furtek

2. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

You can find some specs on the new Kenwood HTB-505 at www.ecoustics.com, go to where it says "discussions", then where it says "home theater", and you will see the title "HTB544 vs. HTB???".

3. Matthew Furtek

Bump.

I guess what I'm really looking for is some more info on the VR 6050. From what I've seen on the Kenwood Site and other BBS, the HTB-544 seems better (component switching, 2 coaxial and 2 digital audio inputs).

Although component switching wasn't going to be used by me (why not pass it straight to the source?), I am kind've worried about losing one of the optical audio inputs. I've got a LD and DVD player both with optical out, and I'd rather not pass the DVD as a coaxial.

Maybe there's another product out there that's around my 500-600 dollar budget with the same performance. I don't want to take the separates route, it appears more costly, I've got to get cables. For now I'm just a "novice" HT enthusiast.

Matthew Furtek

4. Keith Ro

Keith Ro Agent

5. Matthew Furtek

[​IMG]
    Not trying to rekindle any old debates. To me it seems like optical would be better, just the way it looks. Of course upon further investigation now it appears they both do the job the same. For some reason I still would rather pass it via optical, it just looks more sexy....
    [​IMG]
    Matthew Furtek

6. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor