Kenwood HTB-504 update (celebrated too soon - - yet more audio dropouts)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I'm STILL getting audio dropouts and I've tried every conceivable thing (changing the parameters for DVD/6ch to D-MANUAL as it said in the manual, checking my connection, re-connecting my speakers, making sure polarities on speakers are correct, etc.). STILL, I get audio dropouts. It didn't happen for awhile. Anywho, later on I'm playing a Dolby Digital audio source and BAM, dropout occurs. I'm going to try returning this junk to Circuit City and going the separates route. Perhaps I'll exchange it for a new one to see if it works.
    Despite the great sound this unit puts out when it IS working, these audio dropouts should not be happening. What a piece of crap. I am very frustrated right now. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    EDIT: I finally have everything working. It's a fault of mine, and not the product. I replaced the regular audio cable I was using with a digital coaxial cable. I've been testing Dolby Digital and stereo sources since I changed the cable and no audio dropouts have occured!!! This is one great product and I highly recommend that you don't skimp on the cables when you first buy it. I'll post a complete review of the Kenwood HTB-504 in a few days. [​IMG]

2. Brian Harnish

Okay...this is frustrating me even more. I've tested two DTS discs in a row tonight -- Twister and Don't Say A Word. I get audio dropouts on Dolby Digital DVDs and Stereo tracks (music CDs), but NO audio dropouts when I use DTS! This is bugging me. Can someone possibly help me out here with why this could be happening with one audio format and not the other? I've reached my wits end in trying to figure this problem out.

EDIT: Okay...audio dropout now occuring with DTS. So it's probably something somewhere in the system that's not correct. Could be the receiver. I'm going to return it tomorrow (since it's obvious it's defective). We'll see how it goes.

3. Kevin Silence

Sorry to hear you are having problems, Brian. I have the HTB-544, and have been well pleased.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Audio Dropout". I'm guessing that your receiver is switching out of DTS/5.1 to regular stereo? I have mine set to D Auto, and it does a good job of switching (usually at the beginning and menus) to the 5.1 or DTS.

I would check first to make sure that your DVD is putting out the right signal. But, it may be that your receiver has a real problem. I don't think you will find anymore HTB-504s around, and probably not many HTB-544s. The 544 is just a temporary fix until the newer 605? comes out. I've seen specs that show a 120 watt 8" sub for the 605.

I would see about replacing your unit with one that works, if you can't find the solution to your problem. Good luck any way you go.

Kevin

4. Brian Harnish

Kevin- Thanks! I'm sure my DVDs are outputting the right signal. I go into the menu and choose the "English Dolby 5.1" track and then change the setting on the receiver to Dolby Digital.

BTW, when will the 605 be released? If it's in the next month I may just wait, return this one and buy the 605.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I did hear of another guy with a DVD player that used an audio cable instead of a video cable for the coaxial digital connection. When he noticed it, he put in a video cable. The only difference he noticed was that with the old cable, there would be an occasional audio drop-out, about every 15 minutes or so.

If you are using optical, try switching to a coaxial digital. Or the opposite.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Brian,

According to your first post above (Sorry I didn't follow your previous thread on this topic)- it looks like you're using he 6 channel analog input on the receiver. Is this the case? When you get audio droputs, are you seeing the receiver change modes or anything?

The reason ia sk is IF you are using the 6 channel input, you are getting signal converted inside the DVD player and sent analog to the receiver. If that is the case, i would guess there is a strong chance the audio drop out problem is happening in the player.

-Vince

7. Brian Harnish

Bob- That's EXACTLY what's happening -- random audio dropouts every 15 mins or so -- and I AM using an audio cable! I almost fainted when I read your post. I'm heading over to pick up a coaxial cable RIGHT NOW.

Vince- I have speculated in the past that perhaps it's my player that's causing this (your info. adds a lot of insight to the situation). I'll make the switch to a coaxial cable tonight and see if that makes a difference. BTW...I use the single DVD input on my receiver via an audio cable.

8. Brian Harnish

Okay. I bought the coaxial digital cable. It seems to have worked (and I even notice a small increase in audio quality). I've been watching The Replacement Killers for about 50 minutes now and there hasn't been a single audio dropout! Sooo...after I do more tests with Dolby Digital sources tonight I'll be sure.

I'm not going to celebrate too soon, though.

9. Brian Harnish

Success!!!
    I've been playing Dolby Digital and stereo sources (music CDs) since last night. And, since I changed the cable to a digital coaxial cable I haven't had a single audio dropout!! [​IMG]

10. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

Im glad you got it all working!! I set my 544 up on saturday afternoon, and I LOVE IT.

11. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Brian,

Maybe you should edit your original post, so people will know that this product is not junk.

12. Brian Harnish

Sean- Done! Good idea. This truly is a great product and I was saddened to have experienced audio dropouts like that. But now I've learned a very important lesson in audio: DO NOT skimp on the cables! [​IMG]

13. Kevin Silence

Congratulatiions.

FYI on the 605, I believe it is supposed to come out around May. I'm not that concerned. I'm happy with my 544, and have been pleased with my 100w 8" sub.

Probably, one day I will upgrade my speakers, and probably get that Sony sub that everyone talks about. But, for now, I'm just trying to build up my DVD collection.

Happy Easter.

14. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Cool! I'm glad the cable switch worked. (And HTF sinks another one! [​IMG] )